Renix large cap distributor upgrade is here

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Dip Stick
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ Limited

Renix large cap distributor upgrade is here

Post by Dip Stick »

First off I wanted to thank everyone here for the wealth of information they provided throughout this forum, my RENIX stroker build went smooth and she runs like a top :cheers:

Inspired by the Team Rush upgrade and a lot of frustration trying to upgrade my ignition system on my beloved stroker.

The mod was performed on a RENIX jeep but it may work on newer jeeps, the caps are the same but I am not sure about the rotor.

First off you will need a distributor cap and distributor cap adapter from a 1985 Ford Ranger 6 cylinder, next you need a rotor from a 1991 Ford Mustang 8 Cylinder

Cap: Part# C239 this has the brass terminals

Cap Adapter: Part# C241

Rotor: Part# D214

I had to order mine so it was a no brainer to use coupon codes at Advance Auto
use ma20 for 20% off orders over $20 and under $50 up to 50 dollars off
use trt30 for 30% off orders over $50
use trt41 for 40% off $100
Free shipping orders over 75
First thing I did was I marked the trailing edge of the number one cylinder on the new cap and transferred that mark to the cap adapter, this allowed me to effectively index the distributor with the new setup similar to the window in Cruisers RENIX distributor indexing.

On my jeep the clips on the cap adapter interfered with the head YMMV so first step for me was to set the engine at TDC, pull the distributor and move it counterclockwise one tooth. I already had the ears ground down on the distributor using Cruisers RENIX distributor indexing writeup. Relocating number one works because all you are doing is repositioning the location of the whole distributor keeping all the internals lined up the same effectively relocating number one location.

After installing the distributor with it's new number one location install the cap adapter. Next install the distributor hold down and turn the distributor until the trailing edge of the rotor lines up just after the mark placed on the adapter cap "the rotor will be to the right of the mark just like in cruisers tips"
IMG_20170106_165314.jpg
IMG_20170106_165325.jpg
tighten down the hold down clamp, once done do a visual inspection and make sure it all looks right, install your cap and wires and enjoy your cheap but very effective upgrade. This upgrade smoothed out my idle and acceleration, next is a coil but I waited to see if this worked first. :hrhr:
IMG_20170106_165610.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BaumSquadM24
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Renix large cap distributor upgrade is here

Post by BaumSquadM24 »

Forgive my ignorance please, but what is the benefit to this mod? Specifically why the larger size is beneficial?
Dip Stick
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: XJ Limited

Re: Renix large cap distributor upgrade is here

Post by Dip Stick »

The larger cap has less chance of the spark jumping to other electrodes inside the cap, especially on high energy ignition systems also the design of this cap moves the rotor further outward so there's less chance of the spark shorting to ground instead directing the spark where you want it, to the cylinder being fired.

As far as me moving the distributor this was an old V8 trick from the muscle car days, my only concern is the jeep distributor gear has 17 teeth and I'm not sure if this will affect the way it runs or not... I may move it back and mod the adapter clip to work