Performance Tune Up Kits

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
fire4755
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Performance Tune Up Kits

Post by fire4755 »

What is everyones thoughts on big name tune up kits like the Firepower Ignition Kit or MSD. Is it worth the money or are people seeing the same results as an OEM cap/rotor/plugs?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Re: Performance Tune Up Kits

Post by Cheromaniac »

Waste of money. Stick to the tried, trusted, and reliable OEM stuff.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
GreenYJ
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by GreenYJ »

I put msd cap, rotor, and plug wires on my 4.0 and the noise on the CB was hellacious. Finally changed back to stock replacement wires. No noticeable gains either way.
1994 Sahara YJ
kaspbrochill
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: Soon to be 4.7 & 6.7
Vehicle Year: 9698
Vehicle Make: Jeep's
Vehicle Model: 4.0/5.9ZJs

Post by kaspbrochill »

fire4755 wrote:What is everyones thoughts on big name tune up kits like the Firepower Ignition Kit or MSD. Is it worth the money or are people seeing the same results as an OEM cap/rotor/plugs?
Yes Firepower ignition is worth every penny; it will well out perform OEM every day of the week. MSD is overpriced and overkill without a serious stroker or forced introduction motor. PD's Screamin' Demon coil coil pack nets you 3HP off the bat...when honestly a coil pack isn't meant to net you any HP gains, but it just shows that the OEM restricts current flow AND it also allows you to gap your spark plugs to .065...which I was super hesitant to do when I installed it in one of my Jeep's for the first time and I've never looked back since. I've run them in the past 4 Jeep's I've owned. Also their DUI livewires heat treated up to 1400 degreesv (I belive) w/ non-corrosive points and brass tips on their distributor cap which flow the best. Even on the coldest winter days my 4.0 turns over on the first crank, plus better gas mileage along with a little more pick up...I mean it's nothing like changing but for a few bucks more than OEM and having much smoother idles, reliable starts and better gas milage I think it's worth it. Regardless if you go OEM or with a Firepower ignition kit; don't cheap out on spark plugs.. I run Autolite Iridium XP. They're pricer than most but they're backed by a frigging 7 yr warranty!
LenVino

Post by LenVino »

Good Day Folks!

I've found a plethora of information here and on jeepforum.com, so i'm very thankful for that!
If I may provide some personal input:

I pulled the trigger on a Ultra-Power 8228 "upgraded" ignition coil from rockauto, along with 8mm plug wires and new Autolite Iridium plugs gapped to .040". Just for shmidts and wiggles. I always fill the tank to the first click and reset my trip odometer after every fillup so I can calculate my mpgs. After the swapping the coil, plugs and wires I gained 4.5mpg. Now running my 179k '92 4.0L and an average of 22.5mpg highway. Again, this is my situation. Opinions will vary. Either way, maybe someone will benefit from all this..

Best,
Lenny
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

LenVino wrote:After the swapping the coil, plugs and wires I gained 4.5mpg.
The old ones must have been pretty worn out.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Yeah, like almost missing completely worn out.

Was this just from one fill up? Let us know if you get the same results after a few thousand miles.
LenVino

Post by LenVino »

Cheromaniac wrote:
Maybe, that's also possible. But I have great compression and didn't really have any engine issues before the swap.
LenVino

Post by LenVino »

SkylinesSuck wrote:Yeah, like almost missing completely worn out.

Was this just from one fill up? Let us know if you get the same results after a few thousand miles.
No, sir. This was calculated over several fillups; I would confidently say I drove over 1000 miles with that swap. Before that, I was calculating 17.9mpg highway and that was with mild hill climbs and the occasional shift to 4th in order to maintain 60mph uphill..
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

LenVino wrote:
Cheromaniac wrote:
Maybe, that's also possible. But I have great compression and didn't really have any engine issues before the swap.
I wonder if you would have achieved a similar result by swapping in new OEM items.
LenVino

Post by LenVino »

Cheromaniac wrote:
LenVino wrote:
Cheromaniac wrote:
I wonder if you would have achieved a similar result by swapping in new OEM items.
To be honest, that may or may not have yielded the same results. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not a pro and most of my knowledge has come through personal experience and information provided on this forum and another. My logic is this: If Jeep calculated highway mileage as 18mpg in 1992 and I had 17.9mpg 25 years later, then I had a good baseline for comparison. That's why I did the upgrade; I was already getting factory mileage. The coil cost me less than $19 from rockauto and they had Iridium plugs for three bucks a piece. Wires I got cheap from amazon or ebay, don't remember exactly.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

The main thing is that the ignition upgrade worked for you and you're happy. The fact that it cost you peanuts makes it even better.
jeeppoor
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1976
Vehicle Make: Juggy
Vehicle Model: Home made

Post by jeeppoor »

kaspbrochill wrote: January 11th, 2017, 11:45 pm
fire4755 wrote:What is everyones thoughts on big name tune up kits like the Firepower Ignition Kit or MSD. Is it worth the money or are people seeing the same results as an OEM cap/rotor/plugs?
Yes Firepower ignition is worth every penny; it will well out perform OEM every day of the week. MSD is overpriced and overkill without a serious stroker or forced introduction motor. PD's Screamin' Demon coil coil pack nets you 3HP off the bat...when honestly a coil pack isn't meant to net you any HP gains, but it just shows that the OEM restricts current flow AND it also allows you to gap your spark plugs to .065...which I was super hesitant to do when I installed it in one of my Jeep's for the first time and I've never looked back since. I've run them in the past 4 Jeep's I've owned. Also their DUI livewires heat treated up to 1400 degreesv (I belive) w/ non-corrosive points and brass tips on their distributor cap which flow the best. Even on the coldest winter days my 4.0 turns over on the first crank, plus better gas mileage along with a little more pick up...I mean it's nothing like changing but for a few bucks more than OEM and having much smoother idles, reliable starts and better gas milage I think it's worth it. Regardless if you go OEM or with a Firepower ignition kit; don't cheap out on spark plugs.. I run Autolite Iridium XP. They're pricer than most but they're backed by a frigging 7 yr warranty!

Can you tell me where you got you parts from?
I have checked Summit and Amazon.
I am only able to fine the coil and wires. No cap and rotor.