Snap-on MT2500 Cartridges?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Snap-on MT2500 Cartridges?

Post by SilverXJ »

I'm looking to get a Snap-on MT2500. Primarily I need to set the fuel sync on my 97 ZJ w/ a swapped in 5.9L V8 as they tend to be quite finicky on the fuel sync setting. I would also like to use it on my 2000 XJ to check the fuel sync and other tests. What cartridges would work for this? I read that I need the MT25001099 cartridge and key k13a for the ZJ, but that only goes up to 99. I see that there is a MT25001000 cartridge that goes thru 2000, but I don't know if it will have the fuel sync option for the 97 ZJ.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Snap-on MT2500 Cartridges?

Post by IH 392 »

We had one of those at work, it was cheaper to up date to the newer Solus, and we've canned it in favor of the Solus PRO and they no longer offer it either, just software support.
EBAY might be your best bet on finding one of those or the cartridges for it?? :huh:
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I know it is old and outdated, but it has one function I need. Setting the fuel sync on the 5.2L/5.9L is a bit finicky and much more sensitive than the 4.0L, plus there is no tooth pick method to get you even close. The MT2500 was the cheapest one I found that could do it. I picked one up last night on ebay with all the cartridges I need for $220. From what I could find it was the cheapest scanner that is known to do the fuel sync.

There are witech pod clones on aliexpress and ebay for around $400 which can do a lot more than the MT2500, but I couldn't find any info on them being used to set cam sync. Maybe in the future when I am employed again I can try one of those.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

Report back with your findings. I'd love to set the sync on my 96 if you'd be willing to send it to DC.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Part of my intention is to loan it out when finished with my use.

From what I read you can't access the sync setting directly with the 4.0L. You have to change the engine setting on the mt2500 to a 5.2L engine then you can see it.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

The MT2500 arrived Friday and I got a chance to use it today on the ZJ. Everything works and I was able to tweak the sync on that even though it was pretty close just by feel. Bi-directional communication with Engine, transmission, body and ABS. Similar on the XJ, but of course no body processor to fool with.

I didn't have much time to play with it on the XJ, but as I have read the fuel sync option isn't there for the XJ. However, if you change the vehicle to a ZJ V8 you can view it. I purposely set mine ahead due to the after market cam earlier intake opening. However, it is currently 13* ahead of the already advanced CPS. I think I wanted it at 6* advanced, but not sure about that. I'll have to go back and look at my numbers again as I'm a bit fuzzy on that.

I'm using Primary Cartridge GM-Chrysler-Ford-Jeep; Domestic Combination 1996 thru 2001; MT25001001 and Personality Key K-13a

Anyhow here are some videos of what it can do on the ZJ. I don't know why they are so blurry. It was in focus when I started recording, but it then unfocused or did something. Stupid camera phone... I didn't have a Nikon with me today.

Before sync with MT2500. Distributor set by "feel"
https://youtu.be/KFP_9qAu9TI

After Sync with MT2500
https://youtu.be/_1M1tOCjpdI

Showing engine system: Fuel sync, injector test, sensor info
https://youtu.be/H_lY46Y7Owo

Showing AIC motor test, ABS, Body and Trans systems.
https://youtu.be/YhwHWdcILUE
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I had a chance to address the sync on the XJ today. I didn't use the 98 5.2l V8 ZJ that I did previously. I had a thought last night that I should try a 4.0L WJ. I tried that and sure enough it has the sync option. Odd that the option isn't there for the XJ. Another abnormality that I found was that if you selected the federal emissions option instead of the california one the setting disappeared. The MT2500 does correctly auto identify my XJ, but it also has the ability to change the vehicle, which is good in the case of the XJ.

Anyhow, previously the MT2500 reported the sync at 13*+ on the XJ. Today when I plugged it in I selected the WJ and it reported only 7-8*+. Odd. I went back and tried the V8 ZJ again thinking that there is a difference. It was still at 7-8*. Just to verify I unplugged it all, shut the engine down and then went back to the ZJ setting. No change. I think the difference was that today I was driving the XJ prior and it was nice an hot and its regular idle of 800 rpm. When I first looked at the sync the XJ was nearly bone cold since it was in storage and at its cold high idle and warm up. Mechanically it shouldn't matter but looks like it does. I'll have to verify later.

So, the sync was at 7-8*+ so I reduced it to 5-6*+ since the aftermarket cam opens 12* earlier than stock and my CPS is already advanced 6*+. I may try to see if I notice anything when I move it to 0* and maybe -6* since I can not read the setting. Considering I set the initial location by setting my harmonic balancer at 12* and stabbing the sensor straight up I think I had a pretty good initial setting.

I was also able to retrieve a code on the my ZJ that occasionally set the ABS light. "30 pump motor circuit not working properly". So it can not only read the ABS codes but test the various ABS parts and bleed the ABS block.

Its a pretty useful tool for the $220 I paid for it.

https://youtu.be/H_lY46Y7Owo?t=229 watch the shaking as I was startled by the unanticipated horn test.