Will my stroker recipe work?? Help!!

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dirtri4er3
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Will my stroker recipe work?? Help!!

Post by dirtri4er3 »

I'm new to this site and Jeep engines so forgive me if I sound ignorant. Im in the middle of building a stroker and I was wondering if any of you guys know about this type recipe. Compression ratio, quench height, pump gas?, reputable pcm programmer, horsepower, etc... I have a 1998 Jeep xj.

99 xj block
.060 over bore
-.020 off of deck height
4.2 crank (what model will work?)
4.0 or 4.2 rods (which is best?)
Keith black +.060 pistons(will they have to be machined?) Stock 98 4.0 head(will this be OK?)
Comp 68-239-4 cam. 512 lift
P5249464 mopar springs
P4452032 mopar retainers

I'm probably missing something. Like I said I am new. I just want to know that this is a good recipe and I need a few answers on some of the items. Also, what is my cheapest route to buy the parts? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
kaspbrochill
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: Soon to be 4.7 & 6.7
Vehicle Year: 9698
Vehicle Make: Jeep's
Vehicle Model: 4.0/5.9ZJs

Re: Will my stroker recipe work?? Help!!

Post by kaspbrochill »

dirtri4er3 wrote:I'm new to this site and Jeep engines so forgive me if I sound ignorant. Im in the middle of building a stroker and I was wondering if any of you guys know about this type recipe. Compression ratio, quench height, pump gas?, reputable pcm programmer, horsepower, etc... I have a 1998 Jeep xj.

99 xj block
.060 over bore
-.020 off of deck height
Keith black +.060 pistons(will they have to be machined?) Stock 98 4.0 head(will this be OK?)
P5249464 mopar springs
P4452032 mopar retainers

I'm probably missing something. Like I said I am new. I just want to know that this is a good recipe and I need a few answers on some of the items. Also, what is my cheapest route to buy the parts? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
First, I'd like to san that by no means am I a stroker genius or anything to close to it bc I'm on this forum trying to get advise for my first stroker motors; I've rebuilt a bunch and done every bolt on mod possible but still new to the stroker world. First, you're missing exhaust/intake valves; do you plan on using OE vavles or porting them; are you planning on porting your head or intake manifold (or headers); are your factory rockers in good condition/do you plan on using them?; are you going to upgrade your ignition system; are you going to upgrade your injectors to higher lb 4-hole injectors; are you going to run a larger throttle body; are you addressing all the bolt on needs to let breathe like aftermarket headers, hi flow exhaust (consider 2.5" custom exhaust for full potential). Lastly as far as a tune SCT tune's are the most versatile and give you the best gains. Flyin' Ryan is very known for custom tune's; you tell him all your mods, if you have dynamic sheets he can dial in specific needs. Hope this helps!
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Will my stroker recipe work?? Help!!

Post by Cheromaniac »

dirtri4er3 wrote:
99 xj block
.060 over bore
-.020 off of deck height
P5249464 mopar springs
P4452032 mopar retainers

I'm probably missing something. Like I said I am new. I just want to know that this is a good recipe and I need a few answers.
I suggest you aim for a +0.060" overbore version of my 4.6L low buck stroker recipe. Russ Pottenger can fix you up with the required crank, rods, pistons. and a custom cam to suit your needs.
To get the best results the head will need to be ported and if the valves need to be replaced, Chevy LS1 valves with matching springs, retainers, and keepers would be the best option.
Add a cold air intake, 62mm bored TB, header, full 2.5" exhaust, oversize injectors, and custom tune as supporting bolt ons to maximize the engine's potential.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: