FI Harness and Connector Upgrade

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

FI Harness and Connector Upgrade

Post by jsawduste »

PSA for my Jeep folks.

Some of you know about the Jeep leaving me stranded with a fuel leak and no spark.

What I found was that #2 injector had failed and was leaking fuel (big time) out from where the electrical connector snaps in. In addition a short caused the ASD fuse (30 amp) to blow. Darn lucky it didnt catch on fire and burn to the ground. Called Accel and they indicated that type of failure was indeed rare. They also said to look at the connector itself to see what kind of shape the terminals were in.

When I built the OBD2 harness last winter I reused the factory portion of the injector harness. All of us whom have ever taken the connectors off know what a PITA it is to reinstall the metal locks. So like most of us I ran it without problem for 10 years on the stroker.

You can buy new connectors from several places but they all have two major issues. The wires supplied are short. Meaning you have to splice everything together. Second you have those PITA metal clips to deal with again.

Found
http://connectorsfast.net/shop/index.php

Alex their custom makes fuel injection harnesses to any length you want. Plus he has several flavors of the EV1 connectors that are used on most of our engines. He recommended a Ford "Side Loader" that snaps right on with the lock in place.
(EV1SRLP-F1 Female Connector)

Anyways I ordered a set of 6 and rebuilt the FI harness with the Ford EV1`s. They snapped on tight and a simple squezze of the wings releases the lock

I can honestly say that the Jeep has never run so good and smooth in it`s entire life. A solid connection between the harness and the injector itself made a huge difference.

Highly reccomend doing this upgrade. With all the mud and water we see in Michigan anything you can do to keep that connection good is a bonus. Plus if it was a bad connection that caused the injector to fail and leak fuel it might just save you rig from catching on fire.

Sorry for the long read but this is good stuff and really wanted to share.