Clifford dual outlet Header

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Clifford dual outlet Header

Post by BcurpKodiak »

Does anyone have experience with this header?

http://www.shop.cliffordperformance.net ... 7-2015.htm

I'm trying to build a high HP NA stroker. Technically, Russ Pottenger is building it. I'm looking for a good high flowing header though. Has anyone installed one of these on an XJ? I have searched around and found no real reviews or anything of this header. It appears to likely be one of the best flowing headers.
JeepsAndGuns
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Clifford dual outlet Header

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

I have no experience with that header. But I do have some with a couple other brands, if your shopping around.
I currently have a AFE twisted steel header on 4.0 in my YJ, and just bought a JBA for my girlfriends XJ.
The AFE is a very nice header. You can tell from the weight it has more metal in it. The ports match the gasket almost 100% perfect. No porting or gasket matching required. The welds are almost a work of art. It does however, make installation a little more tricky. The lower bolts can no longer be gotten to from the top side with a extension. You have to get to them with a wrench from under the jeep.
The JBA header seems well built. The ports don't match perfectly. There was even some "factory" porting done to it to clean up the welds. The header was full of metal shavings I had to blow out. If I was putting it on a stroker I would definitely want to clean up the ports to match the gasket better. But the XJ is bone stock so I didn't bother.
The AFE is going on my stroker.
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by BcurpKodiak »

Do you know the collector sizes on those?

I'm looking for a minimum of 3", or one I can easily cut and weld on a 3" collector.

The clifford is dual 2.5" which ought to do it.
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by BcurpKodiak »

Can anyone verify that Clifford header fits an XJ without major issues?
JeepsAndGuns
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

BcurpKodiak wrote:Do you know the collector sizes on those?
Sorry I don't. They are both currently installed.
CandyCaneXj
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by CandyCaneXj »

The collector sizes on the clifford header is 2.5 inch. The pipes they send with it that have the rounded edge for the flange are 2.25 inch. So basically you have the ability to run a 2.5 inch true dual if you wanted. I used the 2.25 inch adapters they sent with and made an all mandrel true dual exhaust setup on my xj with thrush welded mufflers. It sounds Awesome! In order for the pipes to clear the front driveshaft and axle housing you need some pretty good cut and weld skills or some pipe with slight bends. I cut pieces all over and welded them together on angles. Straight pipe and 90 degree bends at bottom by oil pan is not enough as it will hit all over. I also suggest to never use this header with a 99 or newer head unless you want alot of work for a very small amount of extra power. I did. I spent like 5 hours grinding away at things to get it to work on a clearwater big valve cylinder 0331 style head. Total headache. In the end though it defintely performs well. I think guys are nuts for running single 2.5 inch setups on a stroker unless you do not care about big power. Also even though Clifford sells these does not mean they are in stock! Best to call to make sure they are not on back order. They really should not have these for sale on their website unless they are ready to ship in my opinion.
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by BcurpKodiak »

CandyCaneXj wrote:The collector sizes on the clifford header is 2.5 inch. The pipes they send with it that have the rounded edge for the flange are 2.25 inch. So basically you have the ability to run a 2.5 inch true dual if you wanted. I used the 2.25 inch adapters they sent with and made an all mandrel true dual exhaust setup on my xj with thrush welded mufflers. It sounds Awesome! In order for the pipes to clear the front driveshaft and axle housing you need some pretty good cut and weld skills or some pipe with slight bends. I cut pieces all over and welded them together on angles. Straight pipe and 90 degree bends at bottom by oil pan is not enough as it will hit all over. I also suggest to never use this header with a 99 or newer head unless you want alot of work for a very small amount of extra power. I did. I spent like 5 hours grinding away at things to get it to work on a clearwater big valve cylinder 0331 style head. Total headache. In the end though it defintely performs well. I think guys are nuts for running single 2.5 inch setups on a stroker unless you do not care about big power. Also even though Clifford sells these does not mean they are in stock! Best to call to make sure they are not on back order. They really should not have these for sale on their website unless they are ready to ship in my opinion.
Thanks so much for this answer. You answered another question I didn't mention. The outlets are 2.5", but their other products like their Y pipe and X pipe are 2.25". I thought, what the hell!? Why are these 2.25" when their header is 2.5"!? Now it makes sense.

I will be using the Edelbrock aluminum head fully ported with big valves from Russ, but thank you for the heads up on the 99+ head.