Installing comp cam kit valvetrain, prior to installing the cam..bad idea??

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
kaspbrochill
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: Soon to be 4.7 & 6.7
Vehicle Year: 9698
Vehicle Make: Jeep's
Vehicle Model: 4.0/5.9ZJs

Installing comp cam kit valvetrain, prior to installing the cam..bad idea??

Post by kaspbrochill »

Okay so i've had my (currently) my 96' 4.0 ZJ wheeler' has down for a few months because of a badly blown head gasket...I'm currently getting a (91-95) head ported and polished along with my 99+ intake manifold ported to match and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to install my new Comp. valvetrain prior to installing my new Comp. cam... I have Comp. Cam's K68-232-4 kit.

I was hoping to install the new valvetrain + roller rocker's and E-fan swap down to get her running again and then I can pull the motor and install my cam + install a custom 5spd trans. at school.

Until I can rebuilt a heavy duty enough manual trans. i'm not starting my 4.7 stroker/ under one ton build axle's..I just want my wheelin Jeep back up and running so I can hit the trails and plus all my saving are going towards my 98' ZJ 5.9L Limited 360 to 408 stroker build that i'm HOPING to be able to afford a tubro/intercooler set up as well to be the ultimate sleeper.

Any and all input would be appreciated, thanks!!
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Installing comp cam kit valvetrain, prior to installing the cam..bad idea??

Post by Russ Pottenger »

The K kit shares parts to be used in 4.0 and 4.2 (258) engines.

Unfortunately the springs, retainers, locks, and valve seals won't work on your 4.0 head. Just the earlier 258 head