exhaust header recommendations

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
GreenYJ
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: exhaust header recommendations

Post by GreenYJ »

I've got a pacesetter long tube dual outlet header on mine. Second one actually, the first one only lasted 15 years. I'm not crazy about the ball and socket y-pipe connections, but it seems to help low speed torque.
1994 Sahara YJ
06BLKRUBILJ
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Model: Rubicon

Post by 06BLKRUBILJ »

Just bought a nice set of Borla headers for my stroker build and ran into an interference problem between the #6 header tube and the intake manifold. Anyone else run into this? Head is a 02 0331 TUPY HEAD, intake is a 2000 and the header is Borla #17202. It's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, I'd hate to have to massage it with a ball peen hammer. Looks like 0.120" to 0.150" interference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Dent the pipe or grind the manifold. I would also call Borla about this.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I had to dimple the Borla 17039 header('93-97 XJ) on the #6 primary and grind the 2000+ intake to work together. Your headers were made for that intake, so you should contact Borla(esp with today's prices more than double what I paid new).
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Post by gonridnu »

06BLKRUBILJ wrote:Just bought a nice set of Borla headers for my stroker build and ran into an interference problem between the #6 header tube and the intake manifold. Anyone else run into this?
I have been running a Borla header and exhaust since 1996. When I put the 99- Intake manifold on the XJ I indeed had to clearance the bottom of the manifold for the exact reason and in the exact place you show in your picture. I did nothing to the primary tube on the header.
jasonb
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by jasonb »

I'd expect that from a cheap header. For the price you paid for that Borla I'd make them deal with it.
06BLKRUBILJ

Post by 06BLKRUBILJ »

Thank for the response guys. Been fighting misc issues with the build in addition to this problem with Borla. (And normal family time constraints).
I have been in contact with Borla, they are very friendly on the phone, but slow to action. They finally sent me a new set of headers, and this one is worse than the first. When I called the about this second set I found out that the second set was from the same batch of seven. Supposedly they checked their fixtures/mfg process and found nothing wrong. Very frustrating problem considering what I paid for these and their reputation. The said no one has complained about the other 5 headers from that batch. My current problem is that I need to get it running this weekend so that I can have it (somewhat) broken in before I help with trail guide duties in two weeks at a Jeep Jamboree.
So I see three options for me...
1) dimple a brand new $$$ header and continue to fight Borla to get me a header that fits properly.
2) put the original (cracked) manifolds on an wrap the crack with something as a temporary fix.
3) try to find another (lower quality?) header that I can get by Saturday. (And will have to replace in a few years)

Guess it's time to give Borla ANOTHER call to see if they have come up with a new solution, holding my breath...
:doh:
06BLKRUBILJ

Post by 06BLKRUBILJ »

Well, Borla is standing behind there product. They did more research and found that (at least) the last batch of seven headers had been manufactured incorrectly. They are rebuilding the fixtures and rushing one through production for me, but it won't get to me until next week. They gave me free range to take my aggressions out on the offending header to make it work until a replacement arrives. Time to get out the ball peen hammer. Pain in the butt problem is going to be replacing it after the motor is already in the Jeep. If that's the worst thing that happens to me, I'm in good shape.
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Comanche91 »

Borla has known about the 2001 Jeep intake clearance issue on their header for at least 15 years that i know of. Good to see they are finally doing something about it. Maybe. Don't hold your breath though..........
91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE
06BLKRUBILJ

Post by 06BLKRUBILJ »

Well, just got done modifying my brand new Borla header to fit my new stroker. Had to grind on the intake manifold some and make a rather large flat spot on the #6 header tube. That tube started out at 1.50" dia, but now is only 1.125" tall. That gave me 0.030" clearance. That should get me by until Borla sends me a new version. Those headers are tough. Took A LOT of hammering to get it to where it is now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci

Post by gradon »

Wow, that was way off. I only had to dimple mine 1/8"-1/4".
jasonb
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by jasonb »

Is that insulation on the bottom of intake factory, or something you added?
06BLKRUBILJ

Post by 06BLKRUBILJ »

I am hoping to shield the intake from a little exhaust heat with this stuff...
jasonb
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by jasonb »

OK, good idea. I never liked the idea of the intake being directly over the header. I think I'll get some and try it.

Jason
06BLKRUBILJ

Post by 06BLKRUBILJ »

Got my third (& hopefully final) set of Borla headers for my Stroker today. Test fitted it on my old 4.0 and this one fits without any interference. Actually it has about 0.1" of clearance. That means the #6 header tube sits 1/2" lower than the previous two sets of headers. It took them a little longer than I would have liked but the end product fits like it should. Borla stood behind their product and sent me the second and third set under warranty.