exhaust header recommendations

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
massholetim
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Re: exhaust header recommendations

Post by massholetim »

Thanks for everyone's input I ordered the borla headers I will let you know how they perform
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

massholetim wrote:Thanks for everyone's input I ordered the borla header I will let you know how it performs
There, fixed it 4U. On an I6 there's only one header. ;)
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: XJ
Vehicle Model: Sport

Post by nicpaige »

Yep only one header but still more expensive than two. LOL
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

nicpaige wrote:Yep only one header but still more expensive than two. LOL
Lol.. price out a Doug Throley for the ZJ 5.2/5.9L engine.
VooDuuChild
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: YJ

Post by VooDuuChild »

LOVE my Banks header. Bought it back in 2004. Cracked in 2015, sent in pic, lifetime warranty, pro-rated for length of ownership...new Banks header was 50% off. So, spend more once, then when it cracks again, like most all headers will after abuse and only pay as much as you would for the chinese crap, but still getting a Banks. Ours is the torque tube YJ 4.0 header.
Shapoopie99
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: WJ

Post by Shapoopie99 »

I got a flowdaddy SS from Rusty's . I'm quite happy with its quality and fit and finish. It's only been on for 200 miles so I'll have to re-evaluate when more miles are on but no problems yet.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-perfo ... aders.html
GreenYJ
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by GreenYJ »

I ran a pacesetter long tube on my YJ for 120k before the y - pipe started leaking from rust. Replaced it with another pacesetter long tube. Seems like it helps the low speed torque a lot. Anyone else used one of these?
1994 Sahara YJ
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Comanche91 »

I'm running a Mike Leach header I purchased many years ago (late 90's as I recall) from Kolak. Got a good price break too since at the time it hadn't been test fit on an MJ before. :mrgreen: It's been through three engines, and is now doing duty on my 91 MJ stroker. Arguably the best flowing header ever produced for the 4.0 platform. Too bad someone never reproduced these, they were works of art......

91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE
kaspbrochill
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: Soon to be 4.7 & 6.7
Vehicle Year: 9698
Vehicle Make: Jeep's
Vehicle Model: 4.0/5.9ZJs

Post by kaspbrochill »

Are you keeping the your factory design of the O2 senor's and pre-cat's or do you have a good tune to by pass them through the PCM and running the pre 00' design?

Honestly, the best for a 4.7 stroker would be custom long tube headers; otherwise the best Hi flow, performance header's would probably be Doug Thorley or Borla (million mile warranty!); but they are definitely the priciest. Next in line would be AFE, JBA, Banks, Gibson.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17601_05_07.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17121_0201.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17601_151X_PG.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17601_501_07.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17666_102_07.htm

Header's hands down net you the most HP in a non-aspirated motor so with a 4.7 stroker you definitely need quality header's and I would highly recommend getting a local exhaust shop to make you custom piping for a full 2.5" full exhaust back to allow that motor to breathe and get it's full potential. Magnaflow has the highest flowing rating cat's, which contrary to most people belief's of deleting their cat's you actually want a Hi flow to give you the proper back pressure for the best performance. The for a Hi flow muffler, it's more or less personal preference what kind of tone you want..personally I like the throaty deep tone of Flowmaster 40 or 44 series.

Also you should definitely consider a bigger throttle body with a 4.7. Hope this helps!
kaspbrochill
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: Soon to be 4.7 & 6.7
Vehicle Year: 9698
Vehicle Make: Jeep's
Vehicle Model: 4.0/5.9ZJs

Post by kaspbrochill »

Comanche91 wrote:I'm running a Mike Leach header I purchased many years ago (late 90's as I recall) from Kolak. Got a good price break too since at the time it hadn't been test fit on an MJ before. :mrgreen: It's been through three engines, and is now doing duty on my 91 MJ stroker. Arguably the best flowing header ever produced for the 4.0 platform. Too bad someone never reproduced these, they were works of art......

Ahh nice!! Mike Leach isn't making making header's anymore because I actually looking for ML header's for my niner and Kolak informed me they aren't in production but Doug Thorley is currently the one producing header's for the V8 ZJ's and I picked up a set of DT's along with Kolak's full 3" custom exhaust and damnnn they are phenomenal!
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Under no circumstances you should ever wrap a header on a street application. The header wrap holds in moisture. A better choice is to get a header that is ceramic coated.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

I am very pleased with my Doug Thorley header. I converted to the newer dual outlet style as well. Very noticeable mid range and top end gains. The only thing I wasn't happy about was the small size of the collector outlets. My TJ is having a custom 3" exhuast made as we speak and I asked them to hog out the outlets as much as they felt comfortable doing.

And whomever said something about wanting backpressure, that is bad info. Please stop spreading it. Backpressure is always, 100% of the time bad. Exhaust gas velocity and scavaging are good. Overly large pipes can hurt low end velocity and exhuast gas scavaging, which it's where that whole myth came from.
jimzamp
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by jimzamp »

The point made about a high flow cat however is not bad.There have been lots of Dyno tests that have shown high flow cats cause you little or no HP loss.Get a Magnaflow high flow metal core cat,clean up your exhaust so the guys behind you on the trail are not huffing you carbon monoxide.You wont have hassles with inspections and in some states they impound your rig.I have been running one on my 1990 yj for 15 years and pass emissions inspection every year. Check it out for your self.( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hREmy9mEvs )
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Running a cat is good and barely restricts the exhaust at all. I agree and everyone should run one. Read what I typed. Back pressure is bad. People keep repeating how engines need a little back pressure because they heard it somewhere but have no proof or real idea what they are talking about.

A good free flowing cat adds very very little back pressure, so everyone should run one.
ROWlegend
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by ROWlegend »

So i am looking at the Pacesetter header too. Anyone else have good luck with it?