exhaust header recommendations

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
massholetim
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

exhaust header recommendations

Post by massholetim »

I need to replace my header on my 2006 4.7 jeep tj I have the banks torquetube headers in there and they failed and caught my wire harness on fire . Don't really trust putting another banks header in was thinking of using the borla header they have a lifetime warranty but there expensive. Any suggestions on headers would be great . Anyone have experience with obx or other companies as well thank you.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: exhaust header recommendations

Post by Cheromaniac »

I don't have any personal experience of the OBX headers, but I know a guy who has OBX long tube headers on his Mustang and he's very happy with them. Probably worth a punt since they're inexpensive.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

I recently bought an OBX header (Amazon) based on the glowing review it received mostly by one person. The one I got was no where near as nice as their's. It was crap actually. Terrible welds, mismatched ports and collector flanges, and SUPER thin primaries. It did have very large (internal diameter) 1.495" primaries and 1.95" collectors. If it would have been made with thicker materials, I would have spent the time and money to have it rewelded, attacked it with a die grinder to match everything up and smooth it out inside, and then send it off to be coated, but the tubing used was so thin, it would have been a waste of time. I returned it and bought a Doug Thorley which is FAR superior in quality as well as already coated, but the primaries only have about 1.3" ID, and the collectors are about 1.65" ID which is much smaller than the OBX. Some of that can probably be chalked up to thicker piping (especially on the primaries) but the collector being that small is kind of a let down. I am having them opened up and installed (along with a full stainless 3" exhaust) while I'm travelling.

I am traveling now as I mentioned, but when I get back next week l'll post up a review of both and some comparison pics. Bottom line, I would skip the OBX. I wouldn't bother to install one given to me for free as a matter of fact.
BADASYJ
I made it to triple digits!

Post by BADASYJ »

Check out the Hooker super comp. I've been running mine for at least ten years now with no issues.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

BADASYJ wrote:Check out the Hooker super comp. I've been running mine for at least ten years now with no issues.
It's my understanding Hooker is selling a header under the brand name or company nome of Flowtech.

Maybe somebody can confirm that.
I'm still searching for the best Header for our 4.0's
Looking for input and opinions. I've used everything from Banks to Clifford. At the same time I'm aware that the inherent problems and difficulties of the exhaust systems on a jeep contributes to much header problems and failures
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

Maybe it's been discontinued. I didn't hear nor see of anyone else ever running the hooker. If I remember correctly it was a Wrangler only header.
It's tough though. I've had my exhust mounts break and my exhust was flopping all over the place and it never cracked. Half the time I only run strait exhust half way back n dump with no supports. I'm very surprised at how well its held up. I've been through three oem types on my grand Cherokee. Thank goodness fo da U-pull its.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

My Borla header has served me well for almost 20 years. Just too bad it's so expensive but quality doesn't come cheap.
Chinese-made headers are hit-and-miss and that's something to be aware of if you're going to make that choice for the sake of saving a couple of hundred or so bucks.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Cheromaniac wrote:My Borla header has served me well for almost 20 years. Just too bad it's so expensive but quality doesn't come cheap.
Chinese-made headers are hit-and-miss and that's something to be aware of if you're going to make that choice for the sake of saving a couple of hundred or so bucks.
That's good to know. I've heard good things about the Borla header.

I like most are willing to pay the premium long as we get a premium product.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

The only disadvantage of the Borla header, apart from the cost, is that the collector is only 2.25" and that's somewhat small for a stroker. I had mine enlarged to 3" and combined it with a custom 3" downpipe. The center of the exhaust and back is reduced to 2.5".
rammit11
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by rammit11 »

Hi, I am running the Banks revolver header. I have about 25000 on it and no problems to report, only issue I did have was getting to the center bolt during install.
06-Rubicon
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Model: Rubicon

Post by 06-Rubicon »

Out of curiosity, how did the Banks header fail?

I too have a 2006 TJ/LJ and a 4.7. I went with the Banks TT header. As of today, the engine is in but has not been started yet, so I'd like to know what to be on the lookout for.

Joe
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

06-Rubicon wrote:Out of curiosity, how did the Banks header fail?

I too have a 2006 TJ/LJ and a 4.7. I went with the Banks TT header. As of today, the engine is in but has not been started yet, so I'd like to know what to be on the lookout for.

Joe
They usually develop a crack where the primary tube is welded into the collector.

To be fair with the header manufactures there's a lot going on that aggravates the problem. Incorporating some sort of the flex joint seems to have helped many of my problems.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

The stock headers up to '99 were well known for cracking where the secondary pipes meet the collector. This type of header with flex joints solves that problem.

06-Rubicon
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Model: Rubicon

Post by 06-Rubicon »

Thanks guys.

My 2006 has the dual pre-cats and the header is already in and bolted up, so I'm just going to have an additional periodic inspection point to be aware of.

Can't wait to get this thing started.

Joe
massholetim
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by massholetim »

06-Rubicon wrote:Out of curiosity, how did the Banks header fail?

Joe
I used a exhaust wrap on the header it failed at the welds at the collector banks does not warranty there headers if you wrap them or buy them from ebay or Amazon. They told me that likely the wrap caused the failure but also that it wasn't under warranty because it was bought through an auction site .when it failed it caught my wire harness to my injectors and fuel rail on fire . They where in the jeep for 18 months before they failed . The wire harness discontinued. I had to get one from the junk yard and splice it to mine to repair it . I am going with the borla exhaust header this time . Thanks for your interest.