Sprintex on a 4.6L Stroker

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Mopud
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.66L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Sprintex on a 4.6L Stroker

Post by Mopud »

Hi folks,

I'm currently in talks with Sprintex here in Perth, WA to plan out a supercharger install. The recommendation from Sprintex who have done a few Supercharged Stroker installs is to not use the standard TJ 4.0L supercharger (S5-210) but the larger S5-335. It sits about 60mm longer so will require some re-engineering on the bypass as it won't fit.

I'll then also need to pick up a PWR barrel intercooler of which they will supply the elbows.

This kit doesn't utilise a 7th injector but rather they supply larger injectors to replace existing. They supply 34lb injectors with the S5-210 but they're suggesting I might need to go bigger to use with the larger supercharger. My stroker is laying down ~175hp at the wheels presently, I am estimating up to 40% power increase with this blower bringing me closer to ~250rwhp. That would bring me close to the 300hp mark at the crank. If my power estimates are right then I would expect the 34lb injectors would be right on the money when combined with the 49psi fuel rail. How does that sound? I can't seem to find anyone here who has done this, only talk on using the S5-210 on 3-4lbs boost with the seventh injector.

Currently also running a 9.7:1 CR with ported 0630 head and full 2.5" exhaust. Running Unichip that I'll have retuned to handle all of this.

If I can get it all going correctly I hope to convert this to a build up thread before too long!

Anthony
2001 TJ 4.66L
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Sprintex on a 4.6L Stroker

Post by Cheromaniac »

Sounds like you've got things pretty well sussed out there mate. :mrgreen:
I'd be interested to see how that turns out and how much it'll end up costing.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Mopud
Donator
Donator

Post by Mopud »

Thanks Dino!

I've just ordered it and I managed to get it on their EOFY sale for $3100 AUD. Thankfully their workshop is only fifteen minutes from my house and work also. With the intercooler, retuning of the Unichip and whatever other miscellaneous bits and pieces I'll need to buy I'm estimating closer to the $4k mark when all is said and done. Probably double that if you add on the cost of frustration and diagnosing of inevitable error codes.

I'll keep this thread updated as I can.
2001 TJ 4.66L
jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

The 210 to 335 conversions sounds involved. Please post pics of the size difference and the mods needed.
Sounds like a great project.
Mopud
Donator
Donator

Post by Mopud »

So just an update.

I did indeed acquire the Sprintex however it's still sitting in the box. I will send through some pictures of the unit as well as the changes that need to be made for it to fit.

I had been waiting months for some other work to finish before I could get started, I was a week away from getting stuck into it when tragedy struck my TJ. It all started with a misfire..

2001 TJ 4.66L
Mopud
Donator
Donator

Post by Mopud »

Thoughts at this stage - I'm not entirely sure what caused it. My theories from what we've seen so far are:

1. Nipple on inside of timing cover wore away cause cam locator and retention pin/spring to not have required tension allowing the cam too much play
2. The cam bearings are visibly shot so it could be a possible failure for it to provide oil into the timing chain gear
3. Stuck exhaust valve on cylinder three - which is the busted lifter. I will be sending the head in for assessment soon

I used the OEM pushrods in this stroker build and the recommended Mopar valve springs to suit this Comp Cams 68-231-4.

Now with this rebuild, I will be looking to build specifically to suit the supercharger.

I think I would preference using a cam grind with the original OEM thrust plate design rather than going for the welded on nipple - I don't like the idea of this and didn't from the start. What have you all been doing and how has it held up? I've just clocked over 80,000kms on this motor. It had been largely fine until now, usual gremlins but nothing obvious. All of the little things however that I couldn't explain seem to be making sense now.

Anthony
2001 TJ 4.66L
Mopud
Donator
Donator

Post by Mopud »

And a very sloppy timing chain
2001 TJ 4.66L
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Wow that sucks. What would have written it the timing chain like that?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

The damage was the result of cam walk, possibly due to a sheared pin. Sucks regardless of the cause.
Hope you can get the engine up and running again soon.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Mopud
Donator
Donator

Post by Mopud »

Cheromaniac wrote:The damage was the result of cam walk, possibly due to a sheared pin. Sucks regardless of the cause.
Hope you can get the engine up and running again soon.
Thanks Dino. Suspected as much, I think this one will be a slow rebuild of 3-6 months at least but I'll get there
SkylinesSuck wrote:Wow that sucks. What would have written it the timing chain like that?
I'm not sure exactly, lack of oil and also the alignment issue of the chain due to the camshaft moving about.
2001 TJ 4.66L
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Mopud wrote:1. Nipple on inside of timing cover wore away cause cam locator and retention pin/spring to not have required tension allowing the cam too much play
2. The cam bearings are visibly shot so it could be a possible failure for it to provide oil into the timing chain gear
Cam walk caused the bearing damage
SkylinesSuck wrote:Wow that sucks. What would have written it the timing chain like that?
Possibly the extra force from the damaged bearings. Also, the cam walking in and out, moving the gear with it. It is odd that the cam gear is torn up like that but the crank gear isn't that bad.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Just a couple of thoughts to add to Dino and Chris's comments.

A few things to consider on the rebuild that doesn't necessarily deal with the cause of the damage, but nevertheless changes that I would consider.

Assuming you're running pump gas I wouldn't recommend running a static compression ratio of 9.7:1
At 3 to 4 pounds of boost that's a bit on the high side for a cast iron head.

If properly set up I personally haven't had any problems with the factory pin and spring design.

A nitrided cam with better specs would be beneficial.
Either a Rollmaster or JP Performance would be a substantial upgrade over the stock timing set.

The last thing on the list I could think to change would be to upgrade to chrome Molly pushrods. If you ever plan to take it over 5K, a step up to a 3/8 wall diameter would be recommended.
Mopud
Donator
Donator

Post by Mopud »

Russ Pottenger wrote:Just a couple of thoughts to add to Dino and Chris's comments.
Assuming you're running pump gas I wouldn't recommend running a static compression ratio of 9.7:1
At 3 to 4 pounds of boost that's a bit on the high side for a cast iron head.
How so? What would make a cast iron head unable to handle it? I have 9.7:1 currently and will be aiming for 8psi
Russ Pottenger wrote:Either a Rollmaster or JP Performance would be a substantial upgrade over the stock timing set.
I had a comp cams roller timing set before.
Russ Pottenger wrote:The last thing on the list I could think to change would be to upgrade to chrome Molly pushrods. If you ever plan to take it over 5K, a step up to a 3/8 wall diameter would be recommended.
Yes definitely, I would also preference slightly longer rods than the stock ones
2001 TJ 4.66L
Mopud
Donator
Donator

Post by Mopud »

Heading down the route of a custom ground camshaft with Comp. They ask just a few questions..

Engine Family:
Total Cubic Inch Displacement:
Static Compression Ratio:
Desired Lifter Type (HFT, SFT, HYD Roller, Solid Roller):
OE Roller Engine?:
Cylinder Head Model/Intake Runner Volume:
Intake Manifold:
Carburetor or Fuel Injection? (Self-Tuning Only or User-Tunable with PC?):
Transmission:
Torque Converter Stall (If Applicable):
Differential Ratio:
Tire Height (Bottom to Top, not xxx/xx/rxx format):
Desired RPM Range:
Vacuum Dependent Accessories?:
Supercharger , turbo ?
How much boost?
2001 TJ 4.66L
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

That is pretty standard for a custom cam. However they didn't ask the most important questions. How you drive it and how you want the engine to perform.