Sprintex on a 4.6L Stroker

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Mopud
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.66L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: Sprintex on a 4.6L Stroker

Post by Mopud »

So after pestering the Comp Cams support email for months they return with the attached grind. It seems pretty conservative to me but perhaps it's optimal for a blower on my current build. I've asked for details on why they think this would be a better match over say the more aggressive 68-239-4 with a 113 LSA.

Not holding my breath for a reply though.

I am considering contact Jones Cams because i've seen a few people mention them here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 TJ 4.66L
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Mopud wrote:So after pestering the Comp Cams support email for months they return with the attached grind. It seems pretty conservative to me but perhaps it's optimal for a blower on my current build. I've asked for details on why they think this would be a better match over say the more aggressive 68-239-4 with a 113 LSA.

I am considering contact Jones Cams because i've seen a few people mention them here
I agree with you that there are better choices for a camshaft in a forced induction application.

The cam specs that they sent and recommended for you is basically a 68-232-4 with the lift lowerd to .435 and .448 on the exhaust.
This camshaft is an excellent choice someone looking for a little more aggressive camshaft than stock but still wants to retain stock valve springs.
I keep this camshaft on my shelf in both standard and nitrided versions and is a great choice for stock headed stroker's.

A camshaft that Comp makes for me that would be a much better choice that I stock is a 68-235-4, but rather than the 111° lobe separation angle we change it to 114°

With Comps 822 lifters I sell it for $200.00

Feel free to contact me if you'd like one.

Thanks,
Russ
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
(626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
Mopud
Donator
Donator

Post by Mopud »

Russ Pottenger wrote:
Mopud wrote:So after pestering the Comp Cams support email for months they return with the attached grind. It seems pretty conservative to me but perhaps it's optimal for a blower on my current build. I've asked for details on why they think this would be a better match over say the more aggressive 68-239-4 with a 113 LSA.

I agree with you that there are better choices for a camshaft in a forced induction application.

The cam specs that they sent and recommended for you is basically a 68-232-4 with the lift lowerd to .435 and .448 on the exhaust.
This camshaft is an excellent choice someone looking for a little more aggressive camshaft than stock but still wants to retain stock valve springs.
I keep this camshaft on my shelf in both standard and nitrided versions and is a great choice for stock headed stroker's.

A camshaft that Comp makes for me that would be a much better choice that I stock is a 68-235-4, but rather than the 111° lobe separation angle we change it to 114°

Thanks,
Russ
531 N. Lyall Avenue
(626) 673-2203

Thanks Russ, I'd sent you a PM not long ago to enquire. I"m keen on the more aggressive 68-239-4 with 113/114 LSA and having it nitrided with matching lifters. I'll shoot you another PM now.
2001 TJ 4.66L
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Mopud wrote:
Russ Pottenger wrote:

Thanks,
Russ
531 N. Lyall Avenue
(626) 673-2203

Thanks Russ, I'd sent you a PM not long ago to enquire. I"m keen on the more aggressive 68-239-4 with 113/114 LSA and having it nitrided with matching lifters. I'll shoot you another PM now.
Hi Anthony,

I do have a Nitrided 68-239-4 on a 113° LSA with lifters.

Shoot me your shipping information to my yahoo email and I'll get it shipped.

Thanks,
Russ
Mopud
Donator
Donator

Post by Mopud »

I've now got everything back from the machine shop and the build is coming along slowly. I had the 0630 head flow tested so I'll put the numbers up a bit later - didn't do too badly in the higher lift region, on lower lifts it's fairly average but it's about on par.

I'm looking at my exhaust now, I have the tri-y design aftermarket headers with dual 2" collectors (1.5" primaries) and a single 2.5" exhaust running through a 2.5" Magnaflow high flow cat and a 2.5" high flow muffler.

I am wondering if given it's a dual collector design, if 2" will be suitably matched. I only know of one header manufactured by Clifford that sell a dual collector in a 2.5" design - it'll cost me a packet getting it landed here in Aus so really I would like to know if it'd be a worthwhile gain over what I already have.

Anyone have any input?
2001 TJ 4.66L
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Anthony,

I've run the Clifford header on two of my Jeeps.
I like the long and equal length primary and duel collector design, but my only complaint is the packaging of the 2 into 1.
You'll want to buy the two into one collector thingy they sell, but be prepared to modify it in order for it to work.
Mopud
Donator
Donator

Post by Mopud »

Thanks Russ. I couldn't justify the expense to have them shipped here to Aus so I went with my original headers. Perhaps next build or a future upgrade with an aluminium head. I don't think dual 2" collectors flowing into one 2.5" will have much of a impediment compared to dual 2.5" collectors rolling into one.
2001 TJ 4.66L