4.7 stoker melted piston help

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dirt5track
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

4.7 stoker melted piston help

Post by dirt5track »

I have a 4.7 that has melted down a piston for the second time (cylinder 5). After the first time I changed the injector, intake, and had the head checked out. The original injector checked out ok and I run at 12.5-13.5 on the wideband o2. The piston looks like it ran lean and I have not been able to find any vacuum leaks. Has anyone else run into this or have any advice for me. I am at the point of pulling this thing out and doing a v8 swap. :boom:
JeepsAndGuns
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: 4.7 stoker melted piston help

Post by JeepsAndGuns »

Just grasping a straws, but have you checked the cam/valves? It's not making any ticking noise is it? Could one or both of the lobes on the cam for that cylinder be going flat and just barely opening?
krom
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by krom »

can you attach a picture of the piston?
eezee

Post by eezee »

I had it happen on cyl #5 too. My problem was too high compression. It was ok around town but when I took it up to 60-70 on the freeway, it sounded terrible, piston 5 got hot and the pin started making a knocking noise. Had to build it again.
dirt5track
Noob
Noob

Post by dirt5track »

Photos of the Pistons
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
krom
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by krom »

what was the ring gap?

I haven't blown up a stroker jeep engine before, but that sure looks like the top ring butted to me. could be caused by improper clearences, or excessive heat.

What was your coolant temp.

What are you using to monitor air fuel ratio
dirt5track
Noob
Noob

Post by dirt5track »

I had a local race/machine shop build the motor so I can't say for the ring gap. The temps stay around 210 with the occasional spike to 225 while pulling one particular grade in my area when ambient temps are over 99 deg. I don't recal the brand but I'm running a wide band o2 and my fuel trim is in line. The 2nd piston I replaced the rings are within spec out of the box without any fitting needed. From my circle track days if the rings were too tight they would fail under the first up to temp heavy load. This motor lasted 5k miles of all around use in the hot summer temps. I can't imagine it would last that long if the clearances were off. I do appreciate your help, any other thoughts?