Torque Flight experience.

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
mountaineerjeff
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Torque Flight experience.

Post by mountaineerjeff »

So, since my other thread came up empty I figured I'd start a new one with the updated title.

So apparently from the other thread my best transmission option seems to be a tf998. I'm guess I also need one without the lock up converter. I definitely need it to be 2wd.

So anyone know what donor vehicles I need to search for? And if I get a 4wd can it be made 2wd? If I get a v8 one can I swap the bell housing to the I6? And will any of my aw4 stuff work, as far as tail housing or bell housing.

I think a built trans, valvebody, transbrake, and converter will really improve my times.
build thread http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/offici ... ep-179516/

N/A 14.9@89
N2O 12.7@104
mountaineerjeff

Re: Torque Flight experience.

So I found a semi local 2wd tf998, but I think I forgot another part...don't I need one from a jeep to retain my crank sensor? So I'm stuck between jeep trans which is 4wd or 2wd with no sensor?

N/A 14.9@89
N2O 12.7@104
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Post by DaemonForce »

I'll bite.

No you do not have a 2WD TF998. The TF998 is a RWD transmission(READ:4x4) and was issued exclusively to Eagles. Also, because the majority of them popping up in yards are 1984+, they have a lockup torque converter. Also, because it's a purely hydraulic non-overdrive transmission, you're going to have issues getting it to fire off when married to a Chrysler 4.0 that uses EFI or any engine that relies on a bell housing crank trigger location.

Your target is a TF999 that is found in late YJ and early TJ series Wranglers only. They have the port for a crank trigger, they share the same bell housing pattern and torque converter compatibility is more varied.
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))
jeepman
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: MJ

Post by jeepman »

The TF999 is only till 1990 and is not a lockup converter, 1991+ its a 32RH which is basically a TF999 internals but with lock up converter and crank sensor location...
mountaineerjeff

So, basically I'm still just as lost as I was. I need a strong 2wd trans that's bolts up to the 4.0...the crank sensor would be a nice bonus, but does not seem that difficult to retrofit into an older housing....so do tf999 come 2wd? Or are they all 4wd? What can I do to swap it?

I've honestly just been looking into built 904s due to them being more common.

N/A 14.9@89
N2O 12.7@104
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

TF999 was used after 90'. I have a 91' Wrangler that came with one and bought another out of a 92-93 Wrangler. They do have the CPS hole in the bell housing. The Wrangler was offered as 2wd auto so yes, everything you need is available, just need to locate it.
That $1000 price I was talking about in the last thread did not take into account the purchase of a the TF, only the performance parts to build the tranny. Hell you could spend upwards of $4000 depending on how in depth and light weight you want the build to be. Get ahold of Turbo Action for your reverse trans lock valve body. Great customer service and very knowledgeable with TFs
jeepman
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by jeepman »

Anything past 1990 is NOT a TF999
its a 32RH as I posted earlier.
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

Aight jeepman since we're spliting hairs here.
Up through the 91' model year the transmission was refered to as a Torque Flight A904T, A999/A998 which were all wide ratio hydraulic 3 speeds with slight variations like a lock up converter (A904T) and extra clutches in the A999. The A998 is hard to find info on but I'm pretty sure they are lock up like the 904T and may have the extra clutches as well but not sure on that.
In the 92' model year they switched to the more general 4 digit nomenclature which changed the name to 32rh. Its a technicality as they are pretty much identical. My transmission manual, valvebodies, rebuild kits, are all ordered for an A904, the rebuild kits come with the extra clutches and seals that are more model specific.
jeepman
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by jeepman »

Sorry not trying to split anything or be difficult...

People just make this mistake ALL the time, I sell Jeep parts and pieces and see this a lot where people call something what it is not and then end up buying the wrong parts because they were given bad info and then expect it to be returned or exchanged which is easy when a new part but not ideal when selling used parts...

So Technically correct gets you the correct parts...

I never said they don't share parts and agree with your statements although I can not confirm or deny how many clutches one has over the others as I have only rebuilt one or two 32RH's over the years but when talking a JEEP Models the TF999 was the model used from I think it was 1982-1990 with NO lock up converter and the 32RH with lock up converter were 1991-2004 (I think the 42RLE 4 Speed came out in 05 but again its similar internals)...
the TF904 was used in 4 banger Jeeps pre fuel injection and then the 30RH after fuel injection...
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

Sorry bro selling jeep parts doesn't mean much to me. Ive seen in black and white parts catalogs have conflicting info or are in fact just plain wrong. I don't fault you jeepman as there is a ton of conflicting info out there on this tranny. You are definitly not the first parts guy to argue with me about this and you won't be the last. It was simply a rebranding/nomenclature change to a more general four digit code AFTER the '91 model year to drop the Torqueflight name. In the '92 model year the close ratio 4 clutch A904 changed to the 30rh, the wide ratio four clutch A998 to the 31rh, the wide ratio 5 clutch A999 to the 32rh but, the 32rh is considerd a lockup tranny and that's the sticking point because not until i think 95-97 during the OBD2 change over did the Wrangler get a lock up tranny.
My 91' Wrangler came with and still has a TF999 Non-Lockup transmission with 5 primary clutches instead of four and the wide ratio 2.74 1st and 1.54 2nd gears and an upgraded over running clutch. I have done a lot of research on it, and spent a lot of time working on it. I've had it rebuilt three times, one of those times I rebuilt it myself. I bought another TF999 non lockup transmission out of a 92-93 Wrangler that I built with a high stall converter, full manual valve body, high performance clutches n bands and all kinds of other goodies to run in my race jeep.
The A500 is basically the same internals as a Torqueflite A999 but with an overdrive unit bolted on the back. In 93 it became the 42RE. It is the Grand Cherokee transmission.

Regardless of this rediculous argument over the nomenclature between me n jeepman you need the three speed wide ratio 5 clutch two wheel drive Non lockup tranny. Every race part that fits a 904 will fit the 999 /32rh non lockup tranny.
mountaineerjeff

Awesome. So 82ish to 94?
Now that I know exactly what trans I need, I just need to find out exactly where to find it. :-)

Despite the jumbled info and small arguments I think I'm finally actually starting to get somewhere.

N/A 14.9@89
N2O 12.7@104
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

The year you need would really depend on what you're running for ignition. Only '91 through '93 can I say for certain will have the CPS hole where you need it. If you run a different setup for a CPS and dont need one in the bellhousing the year shouldn't matter. It all depends on when they switched to a lock up tranny.
Honestly though you might be better off just relocating the CPS if you use one. You can move it to the harmonic balancer and that would aleviate any potential problems between the flex plate and transmission being compatible with your cpu. You can have the converter shop weld any bolt pattern on your converter to match the flex plate you are using.
If I remember correctly when I bent my flex plate and had to source another only two years were compatible with the OBD1 in my wrangler. It could have been something as simple as bolt hole pattern for the converter or it could be the wrong timing ring on the flex plate. Not sure on that.
mountaineerjeff

I had full intentions on keeping a stock style cps.
I also thought I needed a non lockup trans because it seems like all the built converters are non lockup.

I really just want to buy once and as always, on a tight budget, so trying to make this happen for as cheap as possible without cutting corners.

It just seems like info is hard to verify, despite hours of research.

N/A 14.9@89
N2O 12.7@104
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

The only sticking point I see would be with the flex plate and cps compatability. Might need to run the TF flex plate and cps for an automatic wrangler. It is simple to rectify by just moving the cps to front if there is an issue.
I can shoot ya a pic of my cps plug on my OBD1 Wrangler if you want, that way you can check compatability. Might just be plug n play.
Oh yeah I found that it's about a 3" difference in length between a AW4 and a 32rh.
Pm me
mountaineerjeff

3" shorter? I wonder if I can just get a longer slip yoke to make up the difference?

N/A 14.9@89
N2O 12.7@104