Torque Flight experience.

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
BADASYJ
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Re: Torque Flight experience.

Post by BADASYJ »

Yeah man, I knew you would hate hearing that but all is not lost. You'll be losing 30lbs by switching trannys. Not sure how much the carbon shaft saved you on weight but I think you still might be lighter then before even with running a steel shaft.
You ever compared the weight of a carbon shaft to an aluminum one?
mountaineerjeff
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by mountaineerjeff »

Going to a steel/aluminum shaft isn't an option. Options are make carbon shaft work, or get a new carbon one.

So I'm sold on the TF. I just need to find the best, strongest, easiest and cheapest way to do it. So are there 90-93 wranglers with 2wd?

Since you're in the know, how bout I just send you a stack of money to build me the perfect trans?

Any ideas on saving my drive shaft? I'm gonna try to lower the jeep which will help.
build thread http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/offici ... ep-179516/

N/A 14.9@89
N2O 12.7@104
mountaineerjeff

Also as far as cps goes, it's a 99 Cherokee running a tuned stock ecu.

N/A 14.9@89
N2O 12.7@104
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

Well being your going to lower it, that will definitely help a little with the shaft length. You can also look for a longer slip yoke, even if it has a different size u-joint they do make conversion joints with different sizes just for that reason.It's gonna be close which ever way it goes. Could always sell it to another racer from a different track. BTW what's the diameter of that shaft?
If i had the time i would build a trans for you but i just started up my new buisness and I don't even have time to work on my own jeep.
It's not difficult to rebuild though especially if it was a good tranny to begin with. It only consists of taking it apart and putting new seals, steels, and clutches in place of the old ones and swapping out the two bands. If you tackle this on your own (which is what I recommend ) you will be blown away at how simple and strait forward the rebuild is. I can't explain the satisfaction you will have when you win with a tranny you built yourself. Youll have perma grin for hours. Just take a bunch of pictures as you go and keep all the things in order as you take it apart and it'll go smooth. It's like building legos.
The valvebody, now thats a different animal altogether. Thats where the real confusion and hair pulling sets in. Being you're getting a new one though it's just swapping out the entire valvebody for another one so you don't even have to open it up. It will eliminate the kick down linkage as well if you go with a full manual valveboby. A pro could more then likely do this rebuild in about an hour r so. I tend to procrastinate a bit so it took me a full day to do.
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

If you plan on tackling it yourself youll need a manual.
The manual I used was the ATSG techtran manual for Chrysler passenger cars A727/A904. It has a little conflicting info as it refers to the A999 as a lock up tranny in print but in the exploded view of the A999 rear clutch pack it states that its for a non-lockup tranny. Regardless, it's got a bunch of good info on these trannys and everything you'll need to know to rebuild it yourself.
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by optmaxx »

I've learned to appreciate my TF 999 over the years because I was so used to driving cars with overdrive, but adding the stroker really made me see the advantages of having the 3 speed 999. I would recommend getting a quality transmission pan and gasket too, because the stock steel pans are easy to warp and can leak pretty good when that happens.
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Post by DaemonForce »

I DON'T get this. There's an advantage to a 3 speed automatic with the stroker? I don't think it would make much difference from the 258 so this has to have SOMETHING to do with chassis weight and diff ratios.

The A999 is essentially a A998 clone that can be used with the Chrysler EFI. Do you have big diff gears and tires? I have stock 27.7" tires on 2.72 rings. I'm swapping an optioned 5 speed with an outrageous 0.76 OD, which will probably be useless. Speed is nothing without power, so I need to change these ring sets. 3.08s would net me a final 2.35 ratio while 3.54s eliminate all this math with a 2.69 final ratio.

The cam I picked lives between 1500-4000RPM but my theoretical cruise at a 70MPH is 1750RPM. Is this right? I'm thinking that 2500 is the best shift point to keep the cam happy but don't know if it will maintain speed or have other problems. I have people telling me this OD will be useless below 70MPH. I know it would be a problem with the A998/999 though.
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))
BADASYJ

Post by BADASYJ »

You lost me Daemon, go back and reread the posts under this topic. Also read the built aw4 thread. You'll understand what the advantage and purpose of the three speed is in Jeffs application.
You could say that the A999 and A998 are upgraded clones of the original A904 tranny. However, none of these trannys have anything to do with Chrysler EFI. That would be the 32rh tranny your thinking of, which utilizes a TCU that communicates with the Chrysler CPU.
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Post by DaemonForce »

I don't have any real experience with the A999 so I can't chime in on any of that. I do know that it has one visible difference from my A998 and that's the port for a crank trigger. Other than that, I don't dabble with non-hydraulic transmissions. Maybe someday.

Torqueflite was an interesting creation utilized by these American cars. They were essentially another stage of competition for classics that would be built to launch with the TH200. The 1st gear in those things are like 2nd gear in our torqueflites. With a deep 2.XX 1st gear instead of 1.XX, we're effectively getting off the start line much faster and sparing ourselves from dealing with a fuel thirsty deep differential gear that would be compensating for a poor launch.

The TF series was also made to take a beating. I can zip off the freeway entrance in 1st until about 25MPH and hold in 2nd until about 55MPH before 1:1 comes in. It has always felt like a 10 second car especially in town. I'm not sure how these compare to a 3spd TH, but you know they automatically made each drivetrain a little more roadworthy. I don't perform at the track, so I can't state which is better but I know that any long or short initial shift with my T-5 is going to get eaten by any and every TF 1st gear. It might be competitive with a TH if I drop my ratios.
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))
mountaineerjeff

Well I think I finally found a viable option. It's looking like I'll be able to use a modern 999 with lockup. Which makes sourcing a trans much easier. I found a billet lockup racing converter and a built manual valvebody to work with the newer trans as well.

It's a little more than I originally budgeted. More than double actually, but should be good for whatever I throw at it, and a considerable drop in ET and gain in mph. And having lockup makes it better to drive on the street.

N/A 14.9@89
N2O 12.7@104