Oil Pan Fitment with HV Pump

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: Oil Pan Fitment with HV Pump

Post by jsawduste »

Again, this is a subject of debate that could go on and on.

An overly simple answer that only touches one of many aspects.

Those parts that relies on splash or spray for lubrication. Increasing the volume of oil would amplify their durability.

Again, a very basic response with broad interpretations.

Cannot argue that the stock oiling system on the 4.0 is well proven. That`s not to say it cannot be improved upon. Sound engineering practices combined with proven applications of increased oil flow/pressure would be a logical step in improving the stock set up.

Why does the factory crate Mopar stroker come with an HV pump ? Perhaps they know a little more then us ?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

IH 392 wrote:
Russ Pottenger wrote:
IH 392 wrote:If you bearing clearances are CORRECT, you don't need that oil heater. :brickwall:
You are absolutely INCORRECT.
ANY engine would benefit from pre-heating the engine oil before starting the engine.

You didn't read the statement, the HV oil pump IS the oil heater, a stock pump provides all the oil an engine needs, WHY!?? heat the oil by PUKING it out of the bypass valve?? :huh:
I wish the effective relationships between oil pumps, oil temps, bearing clearences, and it's effect on oil pressures were as simple as you think they are.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Post by gonridnu »

The relationships are fairly simple.

If you are running an engine with stock bearing and rod side clearances, a stock pan capacity, within the design RPM range of that engine ... you use a stock volume pump.

If you are running bearing clearances that are greater than stock, at an RPM range greater than stock, you should use a HV pump to make up the volume difference in oil lost out the sides of the rods (from utilizing large clearances) or from increased rpm. At this point you should also use a LARGER capacity pan or some other way to increase the oil capacity of your system (accumulator) to keep from pumping the pan dry.

The Melling booth at the PRI show has a wonderful display that explains the need for a high volume pump and correct application. When I owned my shop I would not put one on any engine that didn't also get an increased capacity oil pan. You don't have to replicate the fluid dynamics in the engine and calculate the return rate. That was already done for you at the factory. However if you are changing the pump volume, efforts need to be made to assure there is adequate oil reserve in the pan to supply the additional oil being puked out of the rods.

Using a HV pump with stock clearances will result in increased bypass.
6TIME
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHEROKEE

Post by 6TIME »

Ditto, And much more dist. gear wear...