Ignition Upgrade on Older Blocks

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
duck454ss
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: LJ

Ignition Upgrade on Older Blocks

Post by duck454ss »

Building a stroker (Turbo DD) but all i can find for donor blocks are early 2000 or older blocks. can i switch those blocks over to the coil on plug ignition by swapping the distributor for an OPDA? then use a MSD box and viper coil pack?
Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown..... 4.6L, Eaton M112, Edelbrock Head, 31cc Dish Pistons, 1.7 Harland Sharp...
amceaglesx4
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: amc
Vehicle Model: eaglesx4

Re: Ignition Upgrade on Older Blocks

Post by amceaglesx4 »

Msd m not sure about so you might have to call them. Definitely the dizzy and pcm since you are going coil pack. To my huge knowledge of Cherokees only the 0331 head has the bosses. Hope this helps.
duck454ss

Post by duck454ss »

just to clear it up a little can i swap in a distributor-less ignition on a distributor block? do the parts swap over?
Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown..... 4.6L, Eaton M112, Edelbrock Head, 31cc Dish Pistons, 1.7 Harland Sharp...
amceaglesx4
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: amc
Vehicle Model: eaglesx4

Post by amceaglesx4 »

As far as I recall yes. Make sure the pigtal is the same. I think if you have a 0630 head you might have the bosses but you need to tap them
duck454ss

Post by duck454ss »

so i finally found a suitable block but it is a 1998 cherokee block.

my intentions are to put this block in my 05LJ and transfer over my 05 ignition into the 98 block. this means i'll still be running the factory computer to communicate with the ignition. will i run into issues when installing the 05 "dizzy"/cam sensor (proper name is eluding me)?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

The 98 block you have won't drop right in to your 05 engine bay. The blocks are significantly different. Engine mounts, water pump mounts, accessory mounts, etc. Ignition isn't something to worry about. But if you intend on dropping it in and using all the accessories you will need a 99+ WJ block or a 00+ TJ/LJ block.
duck454ss

Post by duck454ss »

SilverXJ wrote:The 98 block you have won't drop right in to your 05 engine bay. The blocks are significantly different. Engine mounts, water pump mounts, accessory mounts, etc. Ignition isn't something to worry about. But if you intend on dropping it in and using all the accessories you will need a 99+ WJ block or a 00+ TJ/LJ block.
i've actually addressed most of these.... i think

i'll have pictures of how once i have it all together.

engine mounts will be brown dog... already talked to him and he said he can make me a set that solve this issue.

accessories.... the alternator mount from from a 00+ doesnt line up perfect (2/4 bosses) with the 98 bosses but can be mounted with an additional bracket.

water pump.... i'm using a flowkooler water pump for that specific block and they will be making me a 3 core radiator w/ electric fan.