Engine Ticking Noise driving me crazy!

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Engine Ticking Noise driving me crazy!

Post by Cheromaniac »

NickInTimeFilms wrote: My engine temperature most noticeably rises on the highway of all things. I can wheel it all day without issues
Then your problem isn't with the fans 'cause it seems you have enough airflow through the radiator at low speeds, but your problem is insufficient airflow at high speeds.
Insufficient coolant flow through the radiator could be one potential issue but insufficient airflow could be another. The latter could be due to something in front of the grille obstructing airflow such as auxiliary lights, a winch, or a clogged AC condenser. You may need to add an engine undertray (metal would be better so it can protect steering components and the oil pan) to create a pocket of negative pressure behind the radiator at speed and allow the fans to work more efficiently. Without it, air gets stacked up behind the radiator and doesn't allow airflow THROUGH the radiator.
An auxiliary tranny oil cooler would be an excellent idea to reduce heat transfer to the coolant.
SilverXJ wrote:That is from heating the rod during piston and rod assembly. You need to expand the pin bore in the rod.

That rod has been barbecued and definitely doesn't look normal. I don't remember my connecting rods looking like that after I had the pistons fitted for my stroker.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Cheromaniac wrote:That rod has been barbecued and definitely doesn't look normal. I don't remember my connecting rods looking like that after I had the pistons fitted for my stroker.
No, it is completely normal for a rod to look like that after the small end has been heated to install the pin. Especially depending on heating method and any oil left on the rod prior to heating.
NickInTimeFilms
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1989

Post by NickInTimeFilms »

Cheromaniac wrote:could be due to something in front of the grille obstructing airflow such as auxiliary lights, a winch, or a clogged AC condenser. You may need to add an engine undertray (metal would be better so it can protect steering components and the oil pan) to create a pocket of negative pressure behind the radiator at speed and allow the fans to work more efficiently. Without it, air gets stacked up behind the radiator and doesn't allow airflow THROUGH the radiator.
An auxiliary tranny oil cooler would be an excellent idea to reduce heat transfer to the coolant.
I also have a winch cover that blocks a bit more then I remember but it was still just a bad without it. I removed the trashed condenser during the rebuild so that's out. I also made a splash shield before my trip to keep the stroker clean but I didn't count water getting in through the hood. :wiggle: It might not be the right shape or angle to promote low pressure sucking though. I'm thinking hood vents would help alleviate underhood temps at speed.

nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Make: XJ
Vehicle Model: Sport

Post by nicpaige »

Just my opinion but I would get rid of that shield under your engine if your having cooling issues.
NickInTimeFilms

nicpaige wrote:Just my opinion but I would get rid of that shield under your engine if your having cooling issues.
Had cooling issues without it as well.
CandyCaneXj
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1994

Post by CandyCaneXj »

Maybe as an experiment you should run it without the thermostat in then if it still runs hot you know the radiator is gunked up
NickInTimeFilms

Waiting game is finally over. Engine guy ordered rings, piston and wrist pin. Piston took a while to ship, then he found out he had the wrong rings and they took longer then expected to arrive as well. Never easy with this Jeep.

Took a look at the old piston and didn't notice any marks underneath it.

Popped the new piston in and I noticed the connecting rod moved smoother on the new one then it did on the old one. Wonder if the heat or lack of oil was causing the wrist pin to bind ever so slightly and eventually rub the cylinder wall.

Got everything buttoned up and put some 10w30 Quaker State Advanced Durability oil and some Risoline ZDDP additive in 'er. Decided to paint the valve cover but I gave it a quick test fire and no more noise! She sounds nice and quiet again, butter smooth. What a relieve, I was really waiting to see what was going to go wrong next with this thing.

I thank you guys tremendously for guiding me through this whole adventure, it was a trip and then some. I'll update when she's 100% together and I get some miles on her to verify but I think this case is closed, thank god. Here's to hoping she lasts longer than a weekend a fun :cheers:

Also, If an admin could update the title of this thread with (Solved) that would be great!
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by optmaxx »

That's great news, I also wonder what would cause the pin to bind. I'm trying to hopefully avoid that with this second build by doing things a bit different like submerging the pistons in oil to make sure everything gets lubricated. I also have the 944s, and it does look like there's a good amount of clearance now between the rod and piston. Another thing I plan to do is to go a bit more easier than before for the first 1000 miles or so.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

When the underside of the piston shows that much color that's an indication how much heat was put into that cylinder.
I6FAN
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by I6FAN »

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t43 ... rpwhto.jpg
What's up with the gouges in the con rod (mid length)? I wouldn't re-use that rod, but if I did I'd have it polished and checked for all straightnesses. Crooked rods i.e. bent twisted ect. can cause weird side-loading issues.
NickInTimeFilms

I6FAN wrote: What's up with the gouges in the con rod (mid length)?
I see a single mark, but nothing I would worry about. Can't comment on the straightness of the rod, however. Here's the original if you want to take a close up look: http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t43 ... g~original

Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

You 'should' be ok with that rod, but your machiniest should be taken to the woodshed for letting that get passed him.
It's a five dollar Rod core that should've been replaced or at the very least 2 minutes spent with a sandroll and buffed out.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade, but when I see stuff like that it drives me nuts.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

As I am sure you did also Russ.

We alwys look at the bottom of the piston crown to see you hot the top of the piston was getting.

From the picture the piston was getting warm but the lack of charring suggests that the heat threshold was within the upper end reasonable limits.
NickInTimeFilms

Russ Pottenger wrote:You 'should' be ok with that rod, but your machiniest should be taken to the woodshed for letting that get passed him.
I wouldn't disagree. I'm not too thrilled with his work or his shop considering how much he charged, not going back to him if I can help it. :nono:
NickInTimeFilms

Got everything together proper and drove it around for 30+ miles to seat the rings. This thing's a beast again, I love it! I swapped in my 96+ E fan but I noticed the temps were still creeping around 215*F at times so I'll be keeping a close eye on the cooling system. May get an external trans cooler if I find that's producing a lot of extra heat. Besides that everything is looking good so I shall leave you with this:

Thanks for everything guys! :worship: