Timing issue

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Re: Timing issue

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Interesting.....

We know all the crankshafts are compatible from one year to the next (meaning the relationship of offset flywheel holes should stay respective to the position of TDC #1), we know the position of the CPS sensor in the bellhousing is the same as well. Therefor the relationship of offset bolt holes in one flex plate should be identical to the next (since the sensor is located in the same position). The only variable would be the computer. If the ECU is programmed to read a different set of marks. But if the notches have the same quantity, and the same size, i would think both flex plate should work.

Do you have the ability to check if there are any ecu codes? Maybe the cam sensor in the distributor is not functioning? have you tried a different distributor?

Also, with the CPS removed, wouldn't one of the void's or a certian number of teeth pass while arriving TDC on #1? i think Renix fires on the 13th tooth after the long void (cam position sensor determines 1 or 6). I do not know what tooth the HO motor fires on.
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
ZOID
Noob
Noob

Post by ZOID »

What i did do, Knowing what you stated is: took the original 1995 engine set it next to the Stroker. The stroker with the 91 flex plate on it and the 95 with the 95 flex plate. In comparison the flex plates are different both in looks (very little) and most important in where the CPS breaks a signal. Theirs no denying that the flex plate is the wrong one. Trust me before i pay to balance another flex plate, and take that engine back out i had checked all other options.

P.S. Also with what you just stated, I had thought of just swapping PCM's to an older one, But again before i switched anything this was almost all 1995, With the exception of the lift, removable doors, and the stroker long block itself. At some point i look forward, and having a diff motor and PCM... ext just makes things confusing in the future. And your right about the position of the sensor and the way it bolts up, this will fix my problem im 98% sure.

ZOID
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

flexplate part #s for XJ:
91-92 - 5300 6324
93-95 - 5211 7761

as far as i can see, i think the reason for the different part #'s was due to a transmission change in 92-93. I'm not as XJ savy as i am YJ. The book specifies Aisin for 92+. otherwise wouldn't the timing marks still be in the correct locations, but possibly the converter bolt holes slightly different?

Either way, do report back with your findings when you get that other flexplate in there!

EDIT: never mind! According to Mopar, 5300 6324 superceeds to 5211 7761. Looks like the same flex plate was used from 1991 thru 2000

So both flex plates would have to work
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

Mgardiner1 wrote: So both flex plates would have to work
unless one is damaged.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before.
Have you checked the tone ring for trueness i.e. is it completely round.(circumferential runout)
If it has a portion that is to far from the CPS it may miss that signal and...(not fire the injector/plug, Frack if I know, I just presume bad stuff)
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Absolutely. If that flexplate pulls away from the sensor even .020, could be the difference between a running and non running engine
ZOID
Noob
Noob

Post by ZOID »

The damage factor maybe an issue after all it was rolling around a machine shop for 4+ years... I will definitely let you all know whats going on with pics to if i can. That damage is something i will look into because as you all say they should all be the same 91-2000? As of now they are different from # to sensor for sure.
ZOID
Noob
Noob

Post by ZOID »

Same flex plate as far as timing marks are concerned. The one that i took out was almost visibly bent :doh: so hang this one up to help people in the future!!!

P.S. The Jeep now runs flawless!! Very happy with the switch from Renix to the 1995, It now feels like a Stroker motor.

:cheers:
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Good, glad to hear you straightened everything out