Proper Tune is the only Way!!! :-) Long Winded.

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
college_kid
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Proper Tune is the only Way!!! :-) Long Winded.

Post by college_kid »

Hey Gents,
I am building my first Jeep stroker and want it correct, period. I have contacted Ryan (tuner guy) through email, and I am waiting for his response. However, I believe it would be wildly helpful for myself and others that may read this thread in the future if you made available the type and model of data loggers, gauges, and the like that you are using.

I have read other forums extensively, scouring for information regarding jeep strokers, but I have never found the quality of information that is available on this forum. This thread in particular has been very helpful.

Thanks in advance, Matt
:cheers:
FlyinRyan
I made it to triple digits!

Post by FlyinRyan »

Matt, nice chatting with you the other day. I returned your call later but no answer
Looking forward to working with you. :)
Flyin' Ryan Performance
superstingray77
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: WJ

Post by superstingray77 »

Sorry guys been a while since i posted..... The Jeep was doing really well until the damned Melling HV oil pump let go while i was coming up an on-ramp into 85 MPH traffic. By the time I merged and looked back at the gauges the damage was done. The oil pump drive shaft seized itself into the pump snapping off the one of the top "ears" that form the flat head slot for the dizzy to engage. Well i had hoped I had caught it and shut her down in time but after swapping the pump, oil change = spun rod bearing. So Orielly/Melling is paying for the removal/installation on the engine and the machine shop bill to spin the crank, size the rods and balance it all back out. We pulled the pump apart and wasnt a damned bit of debris, marks on the gears or anything that would indicate why it chose to to this. The shaft is still frozen/welded solid into the pump housing. Apparently not manufactured with enough tolerance.... Awesome eh? So I picked up a 90 Wagoneer 360 4x4 in cherry condition from a buddy for 5k to drive while the 00 WJ stroker is in pieces yet again.
Cant wait to get it back in because I had just custom built/ordered a full 3" dual outlet header 2 4" high flow cats and a 3" cat back with magnaflow so we could really see what this thing will do with Ryans tuning and some actual airflow!!!
Agghghghgh next month we should know the answer, then turbocharger time.
doublins
Stroker Displacement: 5.2L V8 (was 4.7L)
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by doublins »

superstingray77 wrote:Sorry guys been a while since i posted..... The Jeep was doing really well until the damned Melling HV oil pump let go while i was coming up an on-ramp into 85 MPH traffic. By the time I merged and looked back at the gauges the damage was done. The oil pump drive shaft seized itself into the pump snapping off the one of the top "ears" that form the flat head slot for the dizzy to engage. Well i had hoped I had caught it and shut her down in time but after swapping the pump, oil change = spun rod bearing. So Orielly/Melling is paying for the removal/installation on the engine and the machine shop bill to spin the crank, size the rods and balance it all back out. We pulled the pump apart and wasnt a damned bit of debris, marks on the gears or anything that would indicate why it chose to to this. The shaft is still frozen/welded solid into the pump housing. Apparently not manufactured with enough tolerance.... Awesome eh? So I picked up a 90 Wagoneer 360 4x4 in cherry condition from a buddy for 5k to drive while the 00 WJ stroker is in pieces yet again.
Cant wait to get it back in because I had just custom built/ordered a full 3" dual outlet header 2 4" high flow cats and a 3" cat back with magnaflow so we could really see what this thing will do with Ryans tuning and some actual airflow!!!
Agghghghgh next month we should know the answer, then turbocharger time.
Holy crap, what bad luck. I have one of those in my build... (Melling HV). Has anyone else heard of this happening?
superstingray77

Sucks for certain... First engine failed due to a wiped out cam at 2200 miles, caused by Titan setting up the head with too much seat pressure.
Second well here we are with a failed oil pump and some spun rod bearings.

Pulling the engine in the next week or so to drop at the machine shop to have it all gone through and redone.... again.
I was so pissed I just parked it and picked up a 90 Grand Wagoneer with a 360 thats in great shape. Loaded new leather interior, paint is only a few years old, new woodgrain on the outside etc. Stole it for 5k, ill finish the restoration on it and sell it for 15k
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

doublins wrote:Holy crap, what bad luck. I have one of those in my build... (Melling HV). Has anyone else heard of this happening?
Melling has sold thousands of oil pumps worldwide without having any issues but like any manufacturer, a tiny minority of duds will slip through the cracks and this was obviously one of them.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

x2. Melling is one of the major manufactures of oil pumps. Its unfortunate what happened, but its nor a common thing. At least he is being reimbursed to an extent.
superstingray77

I know I have used them for 25 years and this will only be the second one to fail on me. Built >40 engines easily in that time for myself and others. First one was about 20 years ago in a 72 cutlass we did a refresh on, but the failure was obvious, i found a hunk of casting lodged in the pump gears which snapped the oil pump drive shaft right off the bottom of the HEI. Well the casting chunk turned out to be the same metal as the melling pump was cast out of not the block. We had the machine shop look at it but thankfully no damage to the engine as I had been smart enough to wire an oil pressure cutoff into the HEI. As soon as pressure fell it shut down and we coasted to the side of the road. Unlike this damned Jeep which still read 20psi on the gauge without any farkin pressure at all! Nor did the check gauges light pop on until after i tried cranking it again to see what was going on, i had the dizzy harness disconnected so it wouldnt start... when it realized no pressure after a few revolutions it popped the light on.

This stroker better last this time.... or i will find a way to to stuff an LS 6.0 into it and be done.
wjtom
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: wj

Post by wjtom »

sorry to hear about the motor!
Bguse1983
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Model: Tj

Post by Bguse1983 »

doublins wrote: December 29th, 2012, 7:55 am
montelibre wrote:It is great hear that your engine run so fine.
I am very surprised with your improvement in gas mileage.
I am not very happy with my current Split-Second FCT-019 (neither with my gas mileage) and for some time ago I am thinking to install a MegaSquirt 3 (MS3X) on my Jeep and tune the engine and the torque converter lock up.

FWIW- I had tuned my stroker with a piggy back and a wideband before, and had achieved an A/F I was happy with, but decided to go with Ryan anyway- he is able to completely alter the timing maps, as well as dial in a/f for closed loop, so that you are not lean under partial throttle as you would be with the piggyback and stock maps- I still have another iteration to go through with him once I can get past all of the holiday obligations and stress, to get one more tweaking, but I will say this- after a single baseline map and one followup map, after some logging and feedback from me- the jeep runs WAY better than I ever could have gotten it. I'm slightly rich under low-throttle conditions on the highway, but the low-end torque delivery and idle smoothness was improved in a way that never would have been possible with my piggyback.

Ryan's knowledgable and responsive, I would definitely recommend him to anyone. Feel free to PM me if you want any other feedback on the process- I totally vouch for his legitimacy and his product.

-Chris
Do you still have the ss tune and would you be willing to share it with me?