Which CAMSHAFT did you use and why....

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Black00Sahara
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Wrangler
Vehicle Model: Sahara

Which CAMSHAFT did you use and why....

Post by Black00Sahara »

I am in the process of switching out my cam and would like a list of the camshaft brand and model #'s you used, the specs and why you chose this camshaft.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Which CAMSHAFT did you use and why....

Post by dwg86 »

I used a custom ground Engle cam. I used Engle because of the high lift ground they have that can be used with a .904 dia lifter. I could choose the lobe separation, intake and exhaust lift and duration, and whatever advance I wanted ground into the cam. I enjoy working with smaller companies. The customer service always seams better. And it wasn't a comp cam. There have been to many problems with comp cams for me to feel comfortable to use.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

x2 on the smaller companies. After going through a Comp cam 68-231-4, some Crane, and a Hesco RVOB I went with a custom JCR cam. It is based on the 99+ cam core with wide lobes and the retaining plate. Seat duration is 260*/264*, .050" duration is 204*/208*, lift is .472"/.478". Out of Lunati, Comp, Crane and Isky, JCR was the only one interested in looking for the correct core.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Melling MC1376, it's a stock replacement cam for the '97-'99, my eyes tell me it IS! a stock cam with the wide lobes, my dyno simulations showed it to be better than either of the currently available Mopar Performance cams, and every one else seems to be having trouble with just about every available aftermarket cam??
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

My Mopar cam has been great for me.. 229AC. Went with it because it has the wide lobes and its directly from mopar. Similar specs to the popular Comp 68.231.4
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
superstingray77
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: WJ

Post by superstingray77 »

Stroker Version 1 had the Comp computer friendly grind it it that wasnt bearing friendly when it failed in 2000 miles!
Combination of seat pressures too high (thanks Titan you rule) and Comp cams core not passing the hardness test.

Stroker Version 2 has a custom ground Lunati Solid lifter flat tappet with 230/236 duration at .050 and .500/.525 lift.

So far 300 miles broken in properly (as was the previous one) for 25 minutes at 2200-2500 on Joe Gibbs Driven break in oil. What a difference, i can tell you for certain that the stroker engines LOVE the longer duration to fill the cylinder, and longer / higher lift on the exhaust side even with my CNC ported head makes a big difference.
604rail_king
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by 604rail_king »

Comp 201 as it can be run with the stock valve springs. yet to be run though.
Black00Sahara

Post by Black00Sahara »

Thanks for the responses. I shipped it off to a small shop. Custom Cams in MS. They were recommended by a friend and when I spoke with them, they were really helpful and actually listened to my problem. He's going to spin it in the cam doctor and get a reading and call me with options.

I am trying to stay with the stock spring setup. I need some new lifters, and read the thread on here that said the stock mopar lifters are the best. Even though they are way more expensive than the aftermarkets. Any thoughts on the lifters?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

Black00Sahara wrote: I need some new lifters, and read the thread on here that said the stock mopar lifters are the best. Even though they are way more expensive than the aftermarkets. Any thoughts on the lifters?
I haven't read that thread and don't agree with that. They are over priced and nothing special. I recommend a set of Hylift Johnson lifters. PN 2011. They are the correct size, good machining quality and have the disc valve instead of the ball. Out of the ones I have seen they look the best. They also come recommended from people that know more than I do. You can order directly from them. See here for a brief comparison, they are the same ones as the Crower camsavers minus the groove: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=1262
Black00Sahara

Post by Black00Sahara »

SilverXJ wrote:
Black00Sahara wrote: I need some new lifters, and read the thread on here that said the stock mopar lifters are the best. Even though they are way more expensive than the aftermarkets. Any thoughts on the lifters?
I haven't read that thread and don't agree with that. They are over priced and nothing special. I recommend a set of Hylift Johnson lifters. PN 2011. They are the correct size, good machining quality and have the disc valve instead of the ball. Out of the ones I have seen they look the best. They also come recommended from people that know more than I do. You can order directly from them. See here for a brief comparison, they are the same ones as the Crower camsavers minus the groove: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=5&t=1262

Ahhh, ok thank you. I was thinking you had recomended a lifter before but I forgot the name.... and forgot where that thread was.
Black00Sahara

Post by Black00Sahara »

I guess I should have also specified that I am looking to see what will run with the following set up.

its a 2000 with the OBD II computer.

and I am trying to run it with the stock head, springs etc...
Black00Sahara

Post by Black00Sahara »

I think i found my answer to a bit of my question (max lift height) with this thread

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... 17&p=29484

Anyone see anything wrong with the calculations ?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

I originally went with the Crane 753905 cam (same as 753901) 'cause it had the power band that I was looking for. It performed great and I loved it. Too bad the Crane lifters turned out to be shite and after 34k miles, one lifter collapsed and another stopped rotating and took out a cam lobe. I went back to the stock cam after that and I haven't looked back since. My stroker's closing in on the 70k mile mark now.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Black00Sahara

Post by Black00Sahara »

Cheromaniac wrote:I originally went with the Crane 753905 cam (same as 753901) 'cause it had the power band that I was looking for. It performed great and I loved it. Too bad the Crane lifters turned out to be shite and after 34k miles, one lifter collapsed and another stopped rotating and took out a cam lobe. I went back to the stock cam after that and I haven't looked back since. My stroker's closing in on the 70k mile mark now.
What are the specks on your build?

I don't understand how some people are using the stock camshaft? I thought these engines had to much compression to do that?

My compression ratio is in the 10.2/1 range.... I tried the stock cam and that is why I am changing it. The stock cam doesn't have enough duration to bleed off that compression so it will run on pump fuel.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Mine's an original poor man's 4.6L stroker recipe with a 9.25:1 CR.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: