Superchargers?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: Superchargers?

Post by Plechtan »

Currently I am at a 14.5:1 CR, so i will have to drop it down, i was thinking something in the 9.5 to 10:1 range. I will be using 118 octane racing fuel. The Rods are custom H beam, the pistons are diamond forged pistons, but I have to replace them to go with the lower CR. I will probably stick with Diamonds. The Crank is a stock 12cw, and i could swap it out for a 505 unit, however i have never heard of anyone breaking a crank on a Jeep. I do have a line on a 3" stroke billet crank that was used in the stadium trucks back in the day. This crank is not as prone to harmonics as the standard crank. That would change my total displacement to 3.71 L and would probably let me rev to 8,000 rpm. without a problem.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
Jeep's Jake
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by Jeep's Jake »

N2OFFROAD wrote:
SilverXJ wrote:FWIW RIck Rimmer is working on another super sharger for the 4.0L. He had made a few in the past, one of which was in JP magazine . A friend of mine picked up a used unit on ebay for a low price. He has been trying to work with Rick for the past 2 years to get some missing parts for the install. Progress has been slow.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/howto/5472/index.html
Thanks for the article. If you went with a Eaton supercharger what model or size would be best to go with for the 4.0? The article didn't give any info on the Eaton supercharger. And also I was wondering on how much horsepower can a stock fuel line handle before going to a bigger fuel line? I do understand going with forced induction you have to go with bigger injectors, but just wonder about the fuel line limit.
To answer your other question about the Eaton superchargers, the unit used was an M90. The cases are very different, but the internals are the same as the blowers in GM cars with the 3800 series engine. Another design was also used on the Ford super coupes from the early 90's (3.8 liter engines; this is the model I used.) They will definitely work well on a 4.0, but max horsepower will be limited by the amount of air the blower can push before it loses efficiency. I picked one for my Jeep because of the immediate boost and torque provided. It was also far cheaper than any kit I could find. Being a TJ, I had a lot of room to play with under the hood, so i chose to keep my ac compressor. I don't know what your under hood layout looks like, but with a little cutting and welding you might be able to pull off something like this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
N2OFFROAD
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHEROKEE

Post by N2OFFROAD »

Thanks for your input and to some usefull info and to the others that have responded as well. After studying which would give me more power turbo vs supercharger, I am considering very heavly going with turbo for couple of reasons. Installing a turbo with a intercooler seems more simpler, being it can be mounted anywhere on vehicle plus your not limit to building more hp than with supercharger. I not sure about what turbo size to go with and what stroker to build to get my 500 hp plus, anybody have some suggestions?
comanchemty
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: comanche

Post by comanchemty »

The blow off valve also protect
    s the butterfly from the boost pressure . It is typically mounted after the intercooler . At the moment the throttle is closed the turbo is still at full boost . For a moment there is a load on the butterfly . Being close to the throttle body it is more responsive.
    CobraMarty
    BANNED
    BANNED
    Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by CobraMarty »

Accurate Power

1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
    99 XJ M62 S/C
    montelibre
    I made it to triple digits!
    I made it to triple digits!
    Stroker Displacement: 4.6
    Vehicle Year: 1997
    Vehicle Make: jeep

Post by montelibre »

This is my Stroker XJ, MP90 Supercharger. I have installed the engine with custom Bulltear pistons and Supercharger, a few days ago, for second time.
    JEEP 6671BGT 021.jpg
    JEEP 6671BGT 020.jpg
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    jeepman
    Making Progress
    Making Progress
    Stroker Displacement: 4.7
    Vehicle Year: 1989
    Vehicle Model: MJ

Post by jeepman »

This is Rimmers New Colaboration...

http://boostecus.com/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=26
    CobraMarty
    BANNED
    BANNED

Post by CobraMarty »

Here it is:

1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
    99 XJ M62 S/C
    SilverXJ
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator
    Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
    Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Its not Rimmer's. Its made by an Australian company. Given Rick Rimmer's customer service (or lack of) and numerous previous failures I won't touch any current offering with his name attached to it with a 10 foot stick.

montelibre, That doesn't clear the hood, does it? If it doesn't what are you planning for it?
    Dezertxj88
    BANNED
    BANNED
    Vehicle Year: 1988

Post by Dezertxj88 »

I at one point was also extremely interested in supercharging my jeep with a M90 or similar..but because of lack of info, and limited placement I woahed of..It would be awsome because of the instant power, and such, but wheres there threads, so something at least? Build threads, discussion threads with good tech in them? I haven't found much at all, besides "kits"!

I've seen very few videos, and 0 build threads.
    This is my all time favorite video, looks very complete very well thought out, and it doesn't have a supercharger whine at idle..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4tMozlNS1E

Honestly I think the narrator sounds kind of funny..how he speaks, or sounds I guess.

Heres another M90 video on a wrangler..you can here the supercharger whining at idle! That annoying hum at idle, would get old very fast lol..I like the first & third video because theres no hum or whine at idle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhGD1-Iz ... re=related

Another wrangler, sounded like he needed to tighten his belt..squeal upon revving.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ADXeIC ... re=related

And another
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CefIFpMI7ag

I still to date have no found a good build thread with pictures or explanations on how to do it ect ect..just those videos. I'm hoping the Red one, the first video posted comes through with updates, as it was pretty dang recent!
    CobraMarty
    BANNED
    BANNED

Post by CobraMarty »

This Vortech S/C is nice but you loose the A/C

99 XJ M62 S/C
    CobraMarty
    BANNED
    BANNED

Post by CobraMarty »

Here is a Powerdyne S/C and it keeps the A/C

99 XJ M62 S/C
    CobraMarty
    BANNED
    BANNED

Post by CobraMarty »

Say all you want about Rimmer but I think that this is the best one out there to date.

99 XJ M62 S/C
    atias
    Making Progress
    Making Progress

Post by atias »

this is mine (AC,compressor,SUPERCHARGER)
    Last edited by atias on March 22nd, 2012, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    atias
    Making Progress
    Making Progress

Post by atias »

this one i did for a friend last weak,still not ready!!