Superchargers?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
N2OFFROAD
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHEROKEE

Superchargers?

Post by N2OFFROAD »

I have a 00 XJ and I was wondering if anybody has installed a Procharger or Vortech supercharger in a XJ Jeep. I have seen the roots style, but not the others I have mention. Also would like opinions if it could be done ( with enough money anything is possible ) or if it would be better to go turbo considering that space / fitment might be an issue. I tried google to see if I could find anything but no luck. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Re: Superchargers?

Post by 4.whoa »

Turbo Vs. Blower :mrgreen:
The Which is better question's answer depends on your use. Over all most power will be had from a turbo- high end. But if you want the super grunt go with the supercharger. I thought I saw a pic of a centrifical somewhere on a jeep over where the a/c comp was, but I could be wrong. Have you looked on car domain? Some of those people do crazy stuff. ;)
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
N2OFFROAD
Noob
Noob

Post by N2OFFROAD »

My 00 XJ Jeep is driven on the highway daily it is completely stock, no lift kit or any other modifications. I would like to go with supercharging vs turbo. I have nearly 180,000 miles on the current motor now, so I was thinking through the winter of starting a rebuild. I had a car in the past that had a supercharger on it and I always enjoyed hearing the whining sound that it made. Lets say I go back with a stock 4.0 or maybe a stroker with forged internals and it's driven on the highway only, which one would be better suited since the jeep probably want see over 5,000 rpm. As far as location for the supercharger you mention a/c area thats were I was looking at since my a/c is no longer there. I rode in a Jeep SRT8 with a supercharger and all I could say is wow. I have no experience with turbo's to compare so that is the reason for my questions. Thanks
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

N2OFFROAD wrote: I rode in a Jeep SRT8 with a supercharger and all I could say is wow.
Yeah those srt-8's are BAD ASS stock :worship: , so I bet.
So....do you just want a fun cruiser? You'd probibally get better mileage with a turbo-if it matters(being"free"power n all) Have you thought at all about a remote mount turbo? They install in place of the muffler and if you don't use much boost you don't need a intercooler, or you can just use water injection. VERY little altering of the engine bay. Oil lines and charge air line w/blow-off valve( can be mounted underneath by turbo if you want). You didn't say what trans you have.with a stick,you can always have the boost up from a turbo- less lag then an auto in day-to-day driving.
Superchargers are neat,and you can use any exhaust you want,but they can involve alot more for installation.Also some SC's require maint. like oil changes where turbo's do not.

Oh about the blower whine........trust me a turbo sounds SWEET! but it's stealthy at idle :hrhr:
-Russ

amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

for day to day driving im not sure which to say. recently i had a chance to drive a 2010 mazda 3 speed 4 door hatch (6 spd), and i had a hard time wiping off my permagrin when i was delivering it back to the dealer :D . the turbo was was small, but really quite insignificant. on the other hand, my 86 daytona turbo z (5 spd) had lots of turbo lag, as did my dads 88 lebaron (auto). i think turbo manufactures have come a long way in turbo sizing and application to avoid lag. but for a drag situation, id have to say that an auto would actually be better. you can leave the line at more boost (spool while sitting still) and when you shift and that oh so loved blow off valve hits, all your boost pressure goes away and you need to respool again. i do have to admit, i love that blow of valve sound too though :cheers:
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
N2OFFROAD
Noob
Noob

Post by N2OFFROAD »

4.whoa wrote:
N2OFFROAD wrote: I rode in a Jeep SRT8 with a supercharger and all I could say is wow.
Yeah those srt-8's are BAD ASS stock :worship: , so I bet.
So....do you just want a fun cruiser? You'd probibally get better mileage with a turbo-if it matters(being"free"power n all) Have you thought at all about a remote mount turbo? They install in place of the muffler and if you don't use much boost you don't need a intercooler, or you can just use water injection. VERY little altering of the engine bay. Oil lines and charge air line w/blow-off valve( can be mounted underneath by turbo if you want). You didn't say what trans you have.with a stick,you can always have the boost up from a turbo- less lag then an auto in day-to-day driving.
Superchargers are neat,and you can use any exhaust you want,but they can involve alot more for installation.Also some SC's require maint. like oil changes where turbo's do not.

Oh about the blower whine........trust me a turbo sounds SWEET! but it's stealthy at idle :hrhr:
Yes the Jeep SRT8,s are super nice. :worship:
Yeah just a fun cruiser and it does have a auto. I have several photos saved that have turbo's mounted on either side of the engine, like the 505 performance turbo kit and also some near the air filter box. By looking at some of the turbo builds it looks very simple to fab / place a turbo in a Jeep XJ. I was looking at some of Cheromaniac stroker recipes, what would you suggest as in a motor rebuild with turbo? And what would it take to get upward around 500 hp on motor with 93 octane? Im guessing that compression would need to stay around 9:1 or less with turbo?
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

id love to say that ive heard of guys getting up to 500 hp all motor with a 4.0, but im not sure i can. but yes, with the turbo, youll want the compression around 8.5:1
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
N2OFFROAD
Noob
Noob

Post by N2OFFROAD »

amcinstaller wrote:id love to say that ive heard of guys getting up to 500 hp all motor with a 4.0, but im not sure i can. but yes, with the turbo, youll want the compression around 8.5:1
I read some threads on TurboTom's build, but I wasn't clear on how much hp he was making. I think it was around or over 400 hp something. So with the compression around 8.5:1 it would be best to stay with the 4.0 than to go stroker?
N2OFFROAD
Noob
Noob

Post by N2OFFROAD »

amcinstaller wrote:id love to say that ive heard of guys getting up to 500 hp all motor with a 4.0, but im not sure i can. but yes, with the turbo, youll want the compression around 8.5:1
I'm sorry I reread my comment it was probably a little misleading, what I meant to ask was with the combination of motor and a turbo could you reach upward to 500 hp or more. :mrgreen:
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

use turbo toms build as a launch pad. his motor was NOT a stroker, but he did have alot of high end parts. his motor did make over 400 hp with the turbo on only somethin like 8 lbs of boost. i think that if you were to change the piston material, maybe dish it a little, stroke it and add an intercooler, it could be possible. or i could be totally typing with my ass cheeks. :cheers:
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

If you're serious about 500hp you need forged internals. (If you don't want to do it over) I don't know what kind of power a 4.0 crank can handle but 505 perf makes stroker cranks rated for 700+hp but you better have deep pockets! :(
Check out the "life long project" thread. He doesn't have all his specs up, but he's using a rear mount turbo with 12 psi- iirc. And pumps out well over 500 horse :rockout:
-Russ

N2OFFROAD
Noob
Noob

Post by N2OFFROAD »

amcinstaller wrote: i could be totally typing with my ass cheeks. :cheers:
Nooooo... :lol:
N2OFFROAD
Noob
Noob

Post by N2OFFROAD »

4.whoa wrote:If you're serious about 500hp you need forged internals. (If you don't want to do it over) I don't know what kind of power a 4.0 crank can handle but 505 perf makes stroker cranks rated for 700+hp but you better have deep pockets! :(
Check out the "life long project" thread. He doesn't have all his specs up, but he's using a rear mount turbo with 12 psi- iirc. And pumps out well over 500 horse :rockout:
After riding in a Jeep SRT8 it has got me pumped to build my Jeep's motor and try to get it somewhere near 500 hp or better. I will definately be going with forged internals on my build. I read the thread on "life long project" you mention I wish he was a little more detailed / specific about his build. I like were he put the intercooler in front, I am wondering if a intercooler could be installed in the same area on a XJ. It is definately the best place to have the intercooler were the cooler air hitting vs inside the engine compartment like 505 performance turbo kit has.
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

I just looked at 505's turbo setups.Why the heck do they have a wastegate & a blowoff valve?? :huh: They do the same thing and the blowoff valve is way faster.
the intercooler they show on top of the engine is a air-to-water not air-to-air.it uses water or coolant and pumps it through a cooler(like for a auto trans) Speaking of which,you'll need to beef up the tranny. the aw4 is only rated for about 450 ft lbs-iirc.
The Xj 4dr and the Mj are the same vehicle from the drivers seat fwd, so you could mount yours like that. If you look at hesco's pics the "shop truck"(yellow mj) has one there with a airdam / bumper for it.
-Russ

amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

while i agree that their general purpose is the same, most installations do utilize both. blow off valve does a better job of protecting the compressor side when the butterfly valve shuts so the compressed air doesnt shoot back across the blades and melt them, but the wastegate is supposed to limit boost from the exhaust side. wastegate may have another function, but i tihnk thats it. the only installs ive seen with just one or the other are older factory ones, like my daytona where there was no blow off valve, but the turbo was also in between the butterfly and the engine.