Nitrous Oxide Systems

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHERKEE

Nitrous Oxide Systems

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

Just wanted to know if any one here has ever add Nitrous Oxide Systems :rockout: to there jeep 4.0 or stroker engine. And if so what problems did they ran into and was it worth the effort ? I only ask because it doesnt seem like to many guys have done this, I understand that many feel it doesn't really have a place in a jeep but i can also see how it could come in handy in a mud drags for example and other event's. 8-)
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Re: Nitrous Oxide Systems

Post by SIXPAK »

Yes it can be done. The key is to build the motor to handle the power. How much are you spray are you talking about?
JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

Oh I was just toying around with the idea, But if I was to seriously do it I don't think I would personally put more than a 100 shot. My 4.0 i s pretty much stock with these small exapaction a port and polish head, adjustable fuel regulator. adjustable map sensor, Screamin demon coil and wires. I just recnetly rebuilt the motor to factory spec's; have you add Nitrous to your jeep? if so what brand did you go with and what do you think is the most Nitrous you could put on the factory 4.0 before :boom: the engine. Not that I want to do that just curious 8-)

ps: will the factory forged piston hold up to a 100 shot of Nitrous?
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

factory pistons are only cast :(
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

Well that sux :(
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Not really. As long as you get a complete nitrous kit and have it set up properly so that it provides enough fuel, you can run a 75 shot safely.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Post by SIXPAK »

You can stuff a lot of spray in but you have better have the internals to handle it. There is a lot more to it than buying a $500 kit and slapping it on if your goling to go big.
JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

Well ,I guess that would be my biggest concern burning several Quater size hole in my piston, not to mention possibly blowing my tranny :boom: So what are good piston to run safely with let say a 100 shot of Nitrous? And what does a typical set cost? 8-)
scalper
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7l
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by scalper »

I have used nitrous on my xjs since the late 90s. in 99 i stuck a nos plunger style nos kit on my 300,000 mile 2wd xj i started with a 35 then 50 then75 and sprayed at just about every race i could round up until the timing chain finally gave up.in02 i got my 96 and put a nitrous in a bag dry kit with a 50 hp shot on a stock 4.0. in 04 i put a nitrous works wet kit with a 75 on it combined with the 50 dry then steped up the wet to 100 with the 50 dry with only head work ,header and exaust on the orginal a4w tranny. in 08 i built my 4.7 with forged pistons and still using the same nitrous kits but with 30lb injectors and 255 in tank pump and same un rebuilt a4w with 230000 miles on it.
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

I have to ask..... How's it shift? And... What's it run? :mrgreen:
-Russ

JEEP DRIVER
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by JEEP DRIVER »

Yeah, I am with you 4.Whoa that pretty interesting stuff how that jeep feel going down the road, was your facical expression like this :o
scalper
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by scalper »

it shifts ok ,im assuming you meant on the spray of course i wish it shifted harder. love the way it pulls on spray, kinda hate to tell the times with out proof of my times (video,timeslips,etc) with all the bs floating around the internet. i can pm you what i ran in differant stages i had this xj and some of my other xjs if you like. love what your doin with that xj 4.whoa. i once put my 26x11.5 et drags on drag lites with my runners off my foxbody on my 96 xj talk about leaving hard out the hole.
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

Have you done much to the rear suspension? I had to put ladder bars on it to stop break'n stuff........... well, worked till I stripped the trac loc anyway ;)

I have a '95 xj 4wd w/aw4. don't like the way it shifts at all. it'll wind right out, but most times i need to let off to get it to shift :(
But i also have a '87 mj 2wd w/aw4(someone put a reman in it at some point) and in sport mode it shifted pretty good with a 236k stock motor,but we'll see what it does with a fresh motor before too long. :cheers:

P.S. put limit straps on the front , mine scared the hell out of me before i did :shock:
-Russ

scalper
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by scalper »

no i havent done any thing to the rear suspension all i have done to the supension is remove the sway bar bracket on the drivers side for a little weight transfer,it feels a little unstable with both removed,now i have a 91 xj 5speed that i have remove the sway bar ,front bumper and brackets,hvac,ps,entire interior less two front seats and the remains of a dash,rearmount battery, anything that does not contribute to this thing leaving hard and running through the 1/4.the motor in this one is stock exept for k n cone,exaust and 100hp wet kit.i using a dana 44 out of my old 87 with 26x 10.5 et drag slicks. i dont want to put any money in this one it gets left overs from my 96 xj with the 4.7 . i am interested in these straps you talk about please tell me about them also i see you have adjustible front shocks on your xj ,are they custom built?,never seen them before for xjs.i use these jeeps for drag racing and playing on the streets.i also have a bottom 10 second foxbody mustang that i race but i tell you its easyer getting a race with it than the jeeps.i get funny looks when i challenge a ls f body or some roush mustang with a jeep xj even when i offer a 1 way payout or some land and the move of course i love rubbing the cats fur backwards. im sure you get the same reaction with that wheel yankin xy, i think thats so cool
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by 4.whoa »

Well the shocks are not for a jeep,not much on it was "for it" :roll: I don't remember what they are for off hand- a chevy something,but i used extenders to fit them. they extended far enough, but compressed to much. it's lowered,so i didn't want that ... :boom:
It was leaving so hard it would jump up and turn right when the front shocks bottomed out, it would kick so far i'd be lookin at the other lane, :o so i got a piece of a ratchet strap, jacked it up till the shocks were just shy of full extension and tied that bitch up! the next pass was soooooooo calm it was unreal. easy up,gentle down and the rest of the pass i was thinkin was that off the ground?? YEP! :rockout: I had the cheesiest grin ever :mrgreen:

Well I did get all kinds of looks after I put the scoop on. Guys with rail cars would stop unloading and stare at me when i towed it in at the track, and kids LOVE it. on the road, guys in mustangs would look out the corner of their eyes (God forbid they be seen lookin at a jeep) but the fools in hondas always reved up- go figure :huh:
at the moment its apart.engine it my auto xj 4x4, rear blown,comp- jacked up............and me broke :cry:
-Russ