ANOTHER cam failure

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Re: ANOTHER cam failure

Post by lafrad »

If you have Piston to Valve clearance on the AMC I6 format motor, and are running LESS than 12:1 CR, you are doing something wrong. Doesn't matter what cam you are running....
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Good to know, thanks!
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Well, just general info. The cam lobes and lifters looked fine after about 15k on this motor give or take 5k miles.

I was torn about whether or not I should put a standard oil pump back in it, leave the current HV oil pump in it, or try running the Hesco HV pump with the oil squirter on the distributor gear. My dad (who is car-sitting for me) just ordered the Hesco pump w/ squirter so that answers that. I'm still a bit worried about to much stress on the gear due to the HV oil pump despite having the squirter on it, but maybe the cam saver lifters combined with the squirter will bring the pressure down a bit. That and I'll make sure the motor only gets 10W-30 or 5W-30 depending on what I can find with a lot of ZDDP in it. I think it's been getting 10W-30 VR1 and then 10W-40 Redline for a while over it's life. We'll see. The next time this motor has to come out, I'm not putting another I6 in it :banghead:
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Just for anybody following, engine is in and break in is finished. It's got the Comp Cam - 68-231-4 in it now, and my dad said it's got a lot better low end now. Very noticable difference, and the engine in general is much smoother.
Z1500
Vehicle Year: 2003

Post by Z1500 »

I have to bring back this old thread for an update if the OP is still on here.

Given what we have learned since this, what the the magic combo to keep a performance cam alive? I also am leaning toward the Comp 68-231-4 combined with a milled, ported head.