Cam bearing failure (pics)

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Cam bearing failure (pics)

Post by dwg86 »

I don't remember what make the lifters were. They did make a little noise on start up, but only in the winter time when the temps got below 30 deg. I never understood why the lifters did that. But my stock 4.0L did the same thing??? On my next stroker, I'm not sure what lifters I will use. Silverxj, on this board, did a lifter comparison. It was a pretty good post.
I used crower aluminum roller rockers with push rod guide plates and Trend chrome moly push rods.
I guess we will never know how long the Engle cam would have lasted. I had thought about trying to buy my Jeep back and see if the engine was still salvagable, but I just didn't have the room or time to mess with it.
basscat
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ Sport

Post by basscat »

Update:

3000 mile oil change looked good. The engine runs fine but still sounds like a model-T. Since the new cam bearings were installed, the motor doesn't feel as peppy as before. I'm going to degree the cam just to confirm the timing events. Afterwards, I'll be installing the injectors and psc calibrator. I do get light pinging on 89 octance during light load conditions. Goes away with 93 octane. This jeep is a backburner project so things take a while.

As a side note: I sent my ebay obtained LT1 injectors to Rich at Cruzin Performance. He checked them out and decided they were good to go without extensive cleaning or a rebuild. He even replaced the screens and o-rings for no additional cost. Excellent communications, test reports and customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again. He's located somewhere in Michigan.
6TIME
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHEROKEE

Post by 6TIME »

I had a Comp 232-4 in my 4.0 that went 72k miles before losing a lobe and it always sounded like a sewing machine...drove me nuts! I thought I had a batch of bad lifters. After swapping them all out...no change. After some research I found that Comp's lift intensity/rate in their XE line of cams is quite aggressive. The XE lobe profiles shut the valves hard. Same issue in V8 crowd with Comp XE grinds also. Not wanting to run another noisy cam again, I ended up doing a bunch of cam research between all the big cam makers. I found that Lunati's Voodoo line looked very similar to Comps grinds spec wise, but guys were not making a fuss about the valvetrain noise which was perplexing. After gaining the advice of the lobe engineer (Harold Berkshire) of Ultradyne/Lunati Voodoo, he stated that the Voodoo lobe profiles have closing intensities only 15% quicker than stock GM hydraulic cams. He told me flat out that the Voodoo would NOT make noise like the Comp grinds (he used to design lobes for Comp). I ended up running a Lunati voodoo 63500 in my 4.6 now and it's very very quiet compared to the Comp. Initially, I was nervous because the Voodoo does have more lift than the 232-4 and 231-4 with the same duration. Which would indicate to me that the lobes were more aggressive...Hence more noise!? Not so!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I've used Cruzin Performance before too. Fast and great guy to work with.
basscat
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by basscat »

30k mile update.

It has been a long time since I posted but wanted to give an update.

Engine finally failed due to low compression. Found a crack in the head between the intake and exhaust valves in cylinder #2. The exhaust valves in the other cylinders looked like I had been beating on them repeatedly with a BFH. So, my conclusion is the spring pressures used with the 505 cam were the root cause. The bottom end of the motor looks fine.

My path forward is to get another head and pop in some hydraulic cam that is good for towing. In the meantime, I have installed a used high mileage motor as a stop gap. The lack of grunt is killing me!
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Was this a mechanical roller that you had in it? Sorry I quickly skimmed through the thread
Do you know what seat and nose pressures you were running?
basscat
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by basscat »

It was the smallest 505 performance roller with hyd roller lifters, chevy valves and beehive springs. Can't remember the pressures but wasn't worried since it was a roller. The valves were noisy from day one and, at this point, I assume the noise was from them slamming shut.

I still have my shortblock and want to get a new head and a mild towing cam. Any recommendations?
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Shoot me a email and i'd be happy to send you some information and pics of my line of ported LS valved heads

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
(626) 967-1000
[email protected]