Crower "Beehive" springs (Ovate wire)

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Don H Jr
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Crower "Beehive" springs (Ovate wire)

Post by Don H Jr »

The cheapest good set up for Beehive springs is stock Pontiac late 90s and other GMs of the same flavors. They are on so many garden variety junkyard dogs and when set up at proper hight to pressures come right in on the money for the Comp Cams and a stroker. Work does have to be done on the head to get them accepted, but it's the cheapest way to go and still be safe.

jr
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

I appreciate the optional Pontiac spring upgrade advise, and it would be a lower cost option to what I want to do, but cost isn't the biggest consideration for my application.
The beehive spring has been around for over 60 years that I know of. Up until now It has had marginal success. Within the last 5 to 7 years valve spring wire, and winding technology have greatly improved, and has made this spring design viable option.
The 4.0 head appears to have a decent amount material to lower the spring pocket, which gives us allot more options to chose some really good valve springs.
From this thread and others, have pointed out that the the later 5.7 Chrysler Hemi retainer can be used with our stock valve diameter and groove 4.0 valves. Comp's retainer part number 761 appears will work if I can come across the correct locks. Talking to a Comp rep was no help. Out of desperation I ordered a set of 7 degree LS-1 locks, and they don't have the proper fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guy's.
Don H Jr

Post by Don H Jr »

I promise no poke was intended. I wondered if was the wrong place and wrong time to share that info. Oops! By the way, again many thanks for sharing your great info with us all.

Don Jr.
Springless in Gig Harbor, lol!
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Don,
Your input on the Pontiac springs was interpreted as another low cost alternative to the Mopar, or Beehive spring that is discussed in this thread.

I'm hoping to find a relatively low cost option using Comp's Hemi chromemoly 7degree retainer, a beehive spring, and so far this being the stumper..... a valve lock compatible with stock 4.0 valve.
Don H Jr

Post by Don H Jr »

DIY valve cover heightening. A guy could cut up two valve covers and weld em up to the height he/she wants. Aluminum looks kinda cool welded and you could paint over the surgery scars.
Just dreamin'...Jeepness.

Don Jr
Don H Jr

Post by Don H Jr »

Russ: Doesn't the info in the above posts point you in a good direction? I just listen and learn right now, as I know little of springs and such and it isn't time for me to act yet putting together a good valvetrain. All I got rightnow is a 7120 head and a 258 crank and parts from a 81-86 Jeep Eagle.
I'm interested in how you guys come up with a reasonably priced source for the Crower Bees. Please.

Don Jr.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

anybody found a cheaper place to get these springs? from my little bit of searching looks like summit's about the cheapest at $340
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

Just an FYI, newer "stock" valves have the same 3 groove lock as the Hemis. you can use a set of "new" stock valves and a full set of Hemi springs (with dampers), locks, and retainers... and be set.

I didn't do that because i really wanted to run a light pressure at max lift while still maintaining a good seat pressure. Seems to be running well so far.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board

Post by shawnxj »

would the spring pressures be about the same on a .484/.507 lift cam as they are with yours or would they be too much? on the crower's i mean
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board

Post by shawnxj »

was talking to lunati about springs to see what they had to bring to the party and the guy in the tech department told me about the 74814-1 springs($114 for 12) the od is 1.061 with a .698 id and a .636 id at the top. he said the seat pressures should be #120 to #130 closed and in the #240 range at .507 lift.
CobraMarty
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by CobraMarty »

Any updates on how these beehive springs are working?
1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
99 XJ M62 S/C
jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

Any more information about these springs? Are there oversize valves available 8mm 3 groove?
joshm
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Model: cj8

Post by joshm »

Hey Russ did you ever find a fix for the single groove/hemi retainer problem?
joshm
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by joshm »

FYI to anyone interested ive found a single groove 8 degree 8mm retainer lock. Its part number is P4529218 mopar performance. Ill double check the fit when i pick them up on tuesday. If it works itll be great.
24pk is 21.00 locks P4529218 (dealer)
12x of the hemi retainers about 25.00 (dealer)
12x 74814 lunati springs 120.00 (summit)
if it works out thatll be up to .600 lift for less than 175.00 + valve seat machining
joshm
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by joshm »

lunati makes a retainer 75761-1 that works perfect for the 74814-1 beehive spring. I ran these by the machine shop today and checked the spring compression. @ 1.600 seat height the spring is 120 pounds and at .490 lift its 265 with .100 to spare before coil bind. Stock locks/keepers work with this set up. The lunati retainer is a much better fit (with lunati spring) than the Hemi retainer. the height is the same for both retainers. Hemi and lunati retainers mount lower than the stock jeep retainer, im having the seat cut .040 deeper and the seat internal diameter cut to fit these springs.
The 75761-1 retainers are not on the Lunati website but are on summit and drop shipped from Lunati.
Maybe this info will help.... a little less than 175.00 if you use your stock keepers + machine work.
The mopar performance locks didnt work with my valve stems or retainers so they are going back.