Crower "Beehive" springs (Ovate wire)

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Re: Crower "Beehive" springs (Ovate wire)

Post by lafrad »

Just going to *BUMP* this.

The stroker is running PERFECTLY with these springs/retainers/locks, stock valves, stock valvecover, stock rockers and stock pushrods on the aftermarket Crower cam. When I installed the valve-cover, there was MORE clearance on the side of the valves... they are quite a bit smaller in diameter than the stock retainers/springs.

I cannot hear any valvetrain noise at all, idle is silky smooth and torque and drive-ability is AWESOME. For the cam I chose, I used the adjustable double roller timing set to "retard" the timing gear, bringing the camshaft to 0* of "advance". This allowed me to start and run the jeep without ping on 11 month old, 87 octane gasoline. (3/4 of a tank! whoops). I ran that easy then filled with 93 octane "new" fuel, and will run 2 more tanks of 93 to finish the break-in period... but no ping so far. lets hope the tight quench and cam timing keep the 10:1 motor happy on 87/89 :-)

I would suggest this setup for ANY and ALL setups that are planning to be N/A. The springs will handle 0.650"+ lifts and should be stable through an rpm range that would crack the crankshaft before you get valve float.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

If I didn't already have MP springs I would definitely go this route.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Did the stock valve seals fit inside the springs?
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

Stock seals fit perfectly. The seals are about 0.030"~ diameter smaller than the seat that was cut.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Does this thread need to be stickied?
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Considering it is the only proven, easily doable aftermarket spring set up besides the Mopar springs it might be a good idea to.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

We just need to find a good pricing source for the part now :-) I'll see what I can do.
omegatron
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by omegatron »

What do you guys think about the crower springs paired with ls2 valves?
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

Should work just fine with these springs... you just need to get the correct 7 or 8* locks for the valves you are purchasing. there should be some that fit into the Hemi retainer that the spring uses.
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

ive got two more questions on this one:

1. how much did it all end up costing you, rough ballpark?

2. do you think this would fit under a stock valve cover with roller rockers?
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

1: I barted services for the sprigns, retainers, and locks. I honestly can't say how much the true monitary cost was. I know that the prices i saw was less than the Mopar performance springs and locks that I now own.

2: The springs and retainers are narrower and LOWER on the head than stock hardware. that all fits under a stock cover just fine. I *THINK* the problem with roller rockers, is the rocker body hits the valve cover, which this will NOT solve.

I personally don't think roller rockers have any business in my Jeep motor, however. the stock stamped steel setup ran for 155K miles and showed NO wear.They got reused with the stock 155K mile pushrods and everything is happy. FUn part about this setup: peak spring pressures on a moderate (or even high lift) cam are no greater than STOCK SPRINGS. only the seat and mid-lift pressures are more... and those are where you need all the extra control to keep the valve on the seat... preventing any "bounce" at high RPM.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

lafrad wrote: 2: The springs and retainers are narrower and LOWER on the head than stock hardware. that all fits under a stock cover just fine. I *THINK* the problem with roller rockers, is the rocker body hits the valve cover, which this will NOT solve.
There are actually two problems. With the roller rockers and the stock cover the rockers will hit the baffle. You can't simply remove the baffle as it will just pull oil into the intake. You have two options on that... someone makes a taller valve cover, or go with Hesco's spacer.

The second issue is with people that use larger that stock valve springs. They have a tendency to hit the valve cover on their OD. At which point you can put some dents in the cover or I have heard the same person that makes the taller valve cover has modified the valve cover for larger springs.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

Well, these springs and retainers fix the "springs and/or retainers hit cover" problem, VERY well.

In my application, I have a stock valve-cover, with a stock valve-cover gasket, covering these crower springs and Hemi retainers, stock locks on stock valves... Stock rockers... The money saved on rocker arms and hassle saved on the valve cover... (and pushrods!)... easily justify the "missing" gains that I *might* have passed up. I even milled the block 0.017" and the stock pushrods had no problem with it.
Don H Jr
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1994

Post by Don H Jr »

Thanks for sharing this thought out build up. HOW many Miles you got on the new set up now?

Don Jr
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

I'm trying to utilize Comp's Hemi 5.7L steel retainer with my round single groove HO valves.
My problem is finding keepers that will fit these 7degree retainers properly.

I'm assuming the Hemi valve has a 8mm, or 5/16 valve steam diameter.
I've tried the stock valve locks, and the LS1 7degree 8mm locks, but neither fits properly.

Anybody running the Hemi retainers on the single groove valves?
Are the earlier multi groove locks a different angle?