Roller Cam and Lifters

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Re: Roller Cam and Lifters

Post by 1bolt »

No sweat, I think of the Yahoo email group as the precursor to this forum so I tend to think of both as the same group of people. I'm not sure why 505 is being more forthcoming with info in Emails than they are here... I guess they feel threatened by the fact that we don't allow spam... Oh well like I said we'll live, we're getting the details from those of us who are doing leg work, without sales pitches.

I agree Flash (and nice to see you posting again) that it looks like 505 is going to be the Guinea Pig for a cast iron hardened roller cam...

I'm sure 505 wont appreciate this sentiment and I've been keeping it to myself for a couple days but if hardening an iron cam shaft works, then 505 may be showing us the way to a cheap(er) do it yourself roller cam based off a stock regrind with heat and cryo treating and the mopar V8 retrofit lifters Delk showed us how to use...

I'm sure it wouldn't cost a lot less than 505's but it could be more of a custom grind. And depending on what the lifters cost you, it might very well be cheaper.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

I have been doing reasearch, and found out why it is important where the lifter oil feed is. If the Lifter is cut away on the front and back of the roller, and the oiling for the lifter is in that area, it is possible that the lifter could come up high enough to uncover the oil feed hole to the lifter. This would result in a loss of oil pressure.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

Plechtan wrote:I have been doing reasearch, and found out why it is important where the lifter oil feed is. If the Lifter is cut away on the front and back of the roller, and the oiling for the lifter is in that area, it is possible that the lifter could come up high enough to uncover the oil feed hole to the lifter. This would result in a loss of oil pressure.

Hope these links are still good, If not they can be found on the first page of this thread........(By the way, it sure is nice to see this thread moving, after is years or rest :banana: )
These are the pic's that Delk took when he was experimenting with fitment to the block. These are AMC V8 roller lifter(Which i believe were made by CRANE :doh: )

Any ways i don't thing these would be a issue unless the short side of the cam was turned way down(aka vary high lift cam)
note the stain on the stock lifter! That cam would have to move a long was down to open up the lifter feed groove and cause a leak..........X Rocker arm Ratio.........thats a hole lot of lift.............Probably more then the head could handle any was.

So it probably a not issue for these "Hyd roller lifters.................But your running mechanical lifters, Right?

Hmmm .600 lift cam.......divided by 1.6 rocker ratio........Lifter would be traveling .375 :huh:

Just though i would throw in a little visual effects :)
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Flash

Post by Flash »

1bolt wrote:No sweat, I think of the Yahoo email group as the precursor to this forum so I tend to think of both as the same group of people. I'm not sure why 505 is being more forthcoming with info in Emails than they are here... I guess they feel threatened by the fact that we don't allow spam... Oh well like I said we'll live, we're getting the details from those of us who are doing leg work, without sales pitches.

I agree Flash (and nice to see you posting again) that it looks like 505 is going to be the Guinea Pig for a cast iron hardened roller cam...

I'm sure 505 wont appreciate this sentiment and I've been keeping it to myself for a couple days but if hardening an iron cam shaft works, then 505 may be showing us the way to a cheap(er) do it yourself roller cam based off a stock regrind with heat and cryo treating and the mopar V8 retrofit lifters Delk showed us how to use...

I'm sure it wouldn't cost a lot less than 505's but it could be more of a custom grind. And depending on what the lifters cost you, it might very well be cheaper.
Yeah i agree 505 is going to have to be the Guinea Pig!
Because i want way more info before i would buy one..........and sence I'm not ready and told them that in my last e-mail to them, over a week a goooooooooooooo Yeah lot of silence..........................................

505 altho i agree with 1bolt, we are not looking for your secret recipy :roll:

Look at it this way! you had to have some people (manufacturers and such of this roller cam) make you fill confident that this idea was worth the trouble to bring to production RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

MAKE US FILL AS CONFIDENT AS YOU ARE!!!! TRUST ME, THERE ARE PLENTY ITCHING FOR ONE.........BUT ARE NOT FILLING THE .......KNOLLAGE, AND CONFIDENCE FROM YOU OR YOU BUSSINESS.

Yes i would much rather be my own "Guinea Pig" then Pay to be yours........................Show us some Fact, and you will have made a profitable endeavor............If not you may sell a few cam's but for the most part will be setting on you investment, and the rest of us will be setting on our hands, for a year... or so, waiting for the true story to be tested!

Flash

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

Flash

Post by Flash »

Peter, thanks for puting all them thread together with this thread.

I'm going to pirate one post, form them links and post it here.
Hydralic roller cam jeep 4.0 stage one
1991-2006 jeep 4.0 hydraulic roller cam kit complete with custom ground roller cam comp hydraulic lifters comp 4340 push rods beehive springs 4140 retainers keepers and performance single roller timing set.
Item #: JR4.0st1K
Price: $1,098.00
All our roller cams come from a hardened blank Rockwell 52 then hardened to 56 to 58 Rockwell .100 deep" factor chevy roller is about 56 Rockwell". in trial test we saw no wear after 2500 miles on the camshaft. Spring pressure can not exceed 120 on the seat and 325 open, expected life for the roller cams are 70,000 to 140,000 miles depending on driving conditions.The billet roller camshaft have a draw back and that is you must use a brass gear because it is a billet blank, so if you must use a brass gear plan on changing timming gears out every 1500 miles, we have four months of r&d on these camshaft and to the best of our knowledge the cast blanks should work perfect for every application in the hydraulic world, About 10 years ago you could order a hydraulic roller camshaft for a standard distributed gear{chevy only} and it was a cast camshaft just like 505 performance cam, and up till about 5 years ago you couldn't get a billet with a cast gear, know they make a removable rear cam main lobe and they press the cast cam gear in place, this is on a chevy motor, we don't have that option in a jeep do we since our drive gear is in the middle. Please advise that is why a cast blank may be our only option for long term divisibility
I know I'm a little bit slow on this response, but

505 PERFORM ACE,
THANK YOU VARY MUCH! THATS THE INFO WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR.
looking forward to updated as you go along

Like the spring pressures.................I would thing you would need more on you stage 4 cam..........NO?

Flash

commandtoad
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by commandtoad »

has anybody done this yet?
Flash

Post by Flash »

commandtoad wrote:has anybody done this yet?
They have one,(there roller cam) that i know of out there. Probably many more that we do not know a but.

If you go to 505 performance, they have it for sale on there site now!

Flash

commandtoad
Noob
Noob

Post by commandtoad »

just wondering.i have done the R&D, got all the kinks worked out using small block mopor roller lifters (modified the bridge, retaining the rivit on one side) and the cam from roto faze, i just did'nt want to wait the 2 months it would have taken to do it for my build. i do have plans to do it in the future.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

How much?
Flash

Post by Flash »

commandtoad wrote:just wondering.i have done the R&D, got all the kinks worked out using small block mopor roller lifters (modified the bridge, retaining the rivit on one side) and the cam from roto faze, i just did'nt want to wait the 2 months it would have taken to do it for my build. i do have plans to do it in the future.
So you have a cam, from roto faze?

Flash.

Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

I am having a roller made for my Bonneville truck, I had my own blanks made. Camcraft Cams is grinding the cam, they roughed it down, sent it out for heat treat, and should be finish grinding it this week.

The cam does not have a distributor gear on it. the oil pump is external and the ECU is picking up its signals from the crank and one signal from the cam gear directly. I would not recomend a custom billet cam for street use.

I used the Isky solid roller lifters with a non captive tie bar.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
commandtoad
Noob
Noob

Post by commandtoad »

i do not have the cam, just talked to the guy there. said he could do it for $500, and would take 2 months. grind cam, did'nt get a price but would assume $200, lifters on e-bay, $230 shipped, modifiy the lifters $50 (new bridges), yella terra roller rockers, $500, mopor magnum beehive springs (comp), chevy 3.1 retainers with stock 4.0 keepers and cromo push rods(comp) $250.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I hate bring up old topics but this has been on my mind quite a bit lately.

So we have one roller cam available, but its cast and no real proof of longevity on that cam. Even 505 says the life is limited. Due to the cast material their grinds are not as good as they could be. They there is Mopar's roller cam in their stoker which I don't know who makes it or what it is.

Any how... why do we have to use a billet cam from a solid blank? Could we not find some one to make a more modern cam utilizing a hollow tube and pressed on lobes? It would certainly resolve the issue with the distributor gear. I.e. Billet lobes, what ever gear and a hollow tube?
Flash

Post by Flash »

I think the biggest problem with that is, the huge design and set up time.
There would never be enough cam sold (profit) to get any one to do it.................... :(

Haven't been around for a while, any thing , good or bad, going on with the 505 roller?

just a link to the story would be fine. Thanks