Roller Cam and Lifters

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Roller Cam and Lifters

Post by Flash »

The 4.7 Chry V8 "pressed on cam lobes" that i was talking about above...................... I got a terminology of the lobe material........... BEARING STEEL....... :huh: That's what they told me.............. and the tube that these lobes are pressed on to is a sollid steel tube(07 and up)

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

505performance wrote:Hydraulic roller cam kits are now available thru 505 performance complete with lifters timming set and push rods and valve springs to work with stock rockers, there are three cams stage one 209int 216 exhaust .485 lift on a 114 srage two is 214 219 .486 lift 114 and stage 3 is 219 224 .495 lift 114 the kits retail for $998 If you have any ? call 505-333-2600

I hope this isn't a cruel joke!!

If not you should start a new thread in the perf section and tell us EVERYTHING about this setup you can!!

If it meets my needs I will most likely order one...
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

No listing on the 505 performance site. Maybe they should post more details.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I emailed them before lunch asking details today and haven't received a response yet.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

I'm betting they are hydraulic flat tappet cams. Probably a misprint.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

dwg86 wrote:I'm betting they are hydraulic flat tappet cams. Probably a misprint.
No flat tappet cam for a 4.0L is $998. I don't care if it is coated in unobtanium... its not happening. I do think they have some sort of roller, but they do need to give more details instead of just dropping by here to put a few advertisements up.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

To get back on track, on the first page of the post, ot talks about a Roto_faze cam blank and grinding costs, well what i have found out is that the cam will have to be ground twice. The blank that Roto Faze would supply would have round lobes. So first the cam lobes have to be roughed in. This is the first grinding operation, then the cam is sent out to be hardened, and the bearing surfaces ground, then it goes back to the cam grinder for the finish grind.
So the price of $450 to grind the cam is probably wrong, it could be double that or more.
Peter Lechtanski
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

SilverXJ wrote:
dwg86 wrote:I'm betting they are hydraulic flat tappet cams. Probably a misprint.
No flat tappet cam for a 4.0L is $998. I don't care if it is coated in unobtanium... its not happening. I do think they have some sort of roller, but they do need to give more details instead of just dropping by here to put a few advertisements up.

Thier spam said "complete with lifters timming set and push rods and valve springs". I doubt all of that and a roller cam and lifters for $998.00.

Don't want to get back off track, or high jack this thread. I just wanted to point that out.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

dwg86 wrote: Thier spam said "complete with lifters timming set and push rods and valve springs". I doubt all of that and a roller cam and lifters for $998.00.
505 performance email wrote: we built a custom link bar that works with a oem comp hydraulic roller

Need link bars with a flat tappet cam?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Plechtan wrote: So first the cam lobes have to be roughed in. This is the first grinding operation, then the cam is sent out to be hardened, and the bearing surfaces ground, then it goes back to the cam grinder for the finish grind.
Why wouldn't it be hardened after the finish grind?
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

It depends on the harding process. I talked to Comp Cams, they rough it on a milling machine, finish grind it, then harden the whole thing. They probably use induction heat treating. The first method is using oven heat treating. The oven heat treating can cause warpage. the induction heat treating does not.

So it comes down to the equipment you have at your disposal. Since Comp Cams does hundreds of cams per day, they have their own induction heat treat set up, and they have NC machining centers set up to rough down to cores. A Small cam grinder is forced to rough grind, heat treat and then grind again. I actually like the idea of finishing after heat treat.

By the way, I talked to Charles at Camcraft Cams, he says he has no problem working with a round lobe blank. Costs do pile up though, the heat treat was not in the original cost and could be a couple of hundred $$
Peter Lechtanski
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

BTW, here is an email i received from 505 in reply to some questions I asked.
Everything you have will work with my kit all you will need is the cam lifters pushrods, you may see about 5 to 10 psi oil pressure drop because you opened up the lifter bores, we built a custom link bar that works with a oem comp hydraulic roller, cam card reads as follows for stg 2 camshaft duration at .50 is 214int 220ex gross valve lift is .486 .482 ground on a 114 intake center line. power range on strokers is 1200rpm to 5400 rpm, expected power is about 28 to 36 hp over stock cam. We have been doing testing for about 8 weeks, it is a custom ground ductile iron shaft that has been heat treated then cyro, expected life of camshaft will be some where between 70,000 and 150,000 miles rockwell harness is 57 to 60 on lobes, works with stock distrubuter gear. Prices for cam lifter and push rods are as followed about $950
I asked if their kit would work with my Mopar Performance springs installed at 100#, my Harland Sharp roller rockers, my JP timing set, and my lifter bore grooving. Along with some additional questions.

-Chris
Flash

Post by Flash »

I have been reading and trying to catch up (Been doing a lot of research on a stroker for my cuda(as that one will be build before the Jeep)
Read all the roller cam thead now, and decide to post up on the on that i started :D

any way, i to sent a e-mail to 505 asking for all the info i could about this cam and if the timing chain was special to this cam?
We just like selling a matched setup that works, the standard timing sets will work and yes push rods are a different length that stock general we are seeing 28 to 36 hp over stock cams, we built a custom link bar for a set of comp hydralic roller lifters, cams in stock now are stg 2 specs are as follows dur at .50 are 214int 220 ex .485 gross lift ground on 114 rpm on strokers ais 1500 to 5400 hope this helps
Told him that i wasn't able to buy this cam as of present but like the price and would spread the word..............That was before i read all thats been going on here :doh: (COME ON BUD (505) LETS GET A DIALOGE GOING HERE ALREADY!!!!)

Any ways i said i would spread the work the best i could and got this back.
I just talked to primedia they are going to do a full article on the new roller set up and also our new 5.0 liter jeep stroker kit available now for the average joe, comes complete with custom crank rods pistons give you 297 cu inchs you only need to bore it .30 over. Has a 4.050 stroke.
As far as SilverXJ message from 505, and the ductile iron shaft,hardened and Cryo........well, we had discussed this as well and had wonder if it that would work..????!!!!!! I guess we will find out now!

just over a grand is sure a lot more attractive then 12 to $1300.00

And as Muad'Dib said some were here,(sorry can't find it to quote yeah) we may not be the biggest "JEEP FORUM" but us as a group have more interest in this roller cam them and other Forum........except the Yahoo jeep forum......and a lot off them are here!

Wrambler, good to here from you and have been waiting for some one to step up and say LETS FINISH THIS ROAD!!!!!
and here you are :D
Well maybe 505 had done that paving.....................

Plechtan » March 6th, 2009, 7:17 pm

I wouldn't mind if they started their own thread with some pictures how the lifters are installed, tech details of the cam, like what material is it made out of? Dyno runs with the different profiles would also be welcome. If it is a tech thread it should talk about why a part is better or worse than another, not just where you can get it and the price.

505 performance!!!!!! Are you listening!!!!!!!
primedia is cool and my cause some busing to go on, but here is you best potential for a sell of you produce by answer question that will let us all know what it take to install your product, and ease our minds ;)

Flash.

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Plechtan
Donator
Donator

Post by Plechtan »

I think we should take a wait and see approach to the 505 stuff. For my application I need a cam with a higher lift and more duration than what 505 is offering. My only route right now is to have a custom billet cam made. It would save me some money if i had more than 1 blank made, if anybody is interested in one, please PM me.

I am looking at a 310-320 advertised duration and a 270 -280 @ .050 I did a little more work on the lifters, and the comp cam solid lifters for the AMC v8 will work with a 829 link bar. the bar may have to be opened up .010 on each side. The lifters are about $30.00 each from Summit so $360 ( CCA-848-1) for a set of 12. About half the price of the isky stuff. I think on the AMC v8 the oil galley would be on the tie bar side of the lifters, but on the AMC 6 the oil galley is opposite the tiebar, I don't know if this makes a difference. It was an issue when i talked to Isky.
Peter Lechtanski
Flash

Post by Flash »

Sorry 1bolt it was you not Muad'Dib that made the comment that i butchered above. :smack:
We've asked them to put an ad in the vendors deals section of the classified (or in for sale) and to come talk about the cam in here in a normal non sales pitch way... I'm guessing the sales guy that registered as 505 is not especially net savvy. It's there loss this may not be the biggest forum but if there's a more performance oriented bunch of Jeepers who would be receptive to their product, then this group I don't know about it

Flash