Turbocharged XJ 4.0L JTEC

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Cummins90
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Turbocharged XJ 4.0L JTEC

Post by Cummins90 »

I have this build on another Jeep forum and dont want to rewrite it so I'm going to copy it over to here. I hope this isnt against forum rules let me know if it is.

I recently put a turbocharger on my 96 XJ that previously had an m90 supercharger on it. This is the second time turbocharging a 4.0L but the first time on a JTEC ECU. I am using a log style manifold with a standard T3 flange. It's comical but it's actually easier to get to the lower intake manifold bolts with the log manifold with a turbo attached than with the stock exhaust or even after market headers.

The turbo is a Mitsubishi clone s20g/TD06H watercooled CHRA. The oil feed is a tee off the oil sender with the return being a 5/8 hose to -10an barb. The return tap is a steel bulk head welded into the pan. The turbo coolant inlet is fed from the block at the rear pipe fitting on the drivers side of the block. The coolant outlet is returned to the heater core inlet. Other than extending the life of the turbo, the byproduct of this plumbing is two fold. After engine shutdown coolant continues to cycle through the turbo center section and after a short time of easy driving on cool days you have luke warm in cab heat.

The turbocharger is regulated by a 5 psi internal wastegate with a screw type manual boost controller. I thought it would be nice to have a "valet" mode but the power increase is substantial even at 5psi.

The exhaust downpipe from the turbo drops down in the similar fashion to the stock pipe. After it makes the turn behind the transmission bell it graphs to the stock exhaust pipe.

The hot charge pipe follows the oil pan to the intercooler under the front bumper. I am still figuring out a better position for it.

The cold charge pipe then exits the FMIC and snakes behind the alternator up and over the valve cover to the BOV.

From there it is a straight shot into a 62mm TB.

Engine tuning is made possible with an AEM FIC 30-1913. Info about set up can be found here

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/my...em-fic-245405/

Injectors are 36lbs/hr. ev1 4-hole. I am CT emissions compliant with this setup. One seldom mentioned advantage of the FIC is its ability to be disabled. By changing out your injectors to the stock size and installing the bypass harness, full control is given back to the factory ECU. This is very useful for troubleshooting an error with-in the FIC. Just be sure to keep it out of boost or simply unhook the wastegate actuator.

I will add more pics as I go. If anyone has questions about specifics let me know and I will post up as much detail as I can. Thanks for looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Turbocharged XJ 4.0L JTEC

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Want to hear more! More pics please :)
Cummins90
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Turbocharged XJ 4.0L JTEC

Post by Cummins90 »

20180917_134824.jpg
20180917_141030.jpg
20180917_140957.jpg
20180917_142401.jpg
Let me know if there is anything specific you want to see that I forgot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.