Trying to get parts made for Jeep 4.0

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Trying to get parts made for Jeep 4.0

Post by dwg86 »

I contacted JP Performance to see if they can make a timing chain set for the 1999-2006 Jeep 4.0 with the camshaft retaining plate. They would only need to machine a new cam gear. They could use the crank gear and chain from the pre 1999 timing set. I sent them pictures of both cam sprockets and how the 4.6 stroker has become popular, but we could really use a timing set made for the later block. Since this is a billet set not a casting, I would think they would only need to write a new program for a CNC machine to machine the center hub differently. Their reply, "This is not one we make and by looking at it we would not make this one."

I also contacted comp cams to see it they could make a valve spring specifically for our 4.0. I explained that most of their amc 6 cylinder cams are probably being bought for the Jeep 4.0, but there is no valve spring that can be installed without the added cost and headache of trying to find a spring to fit. Maybe a spring that doesn't have a high seat pressure or spring rate, and is good for around a .525-.550 lift. Lets face it most of us are not going to turn over 5500 rpms, and we need a spring that is not going to kill our flat tappet cams. No reply yet.

I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. Just a few years ago there wasn't much support for the obsolete 4.0. But now there are stroker pistons, forged rods, new cranks, bolt on turbo kit and an aluminum heads being made. Maybe a little more interest to some of these companies (some more e-mails and phone calls) maybe we can get some more parts made that are needed for the 4.0/4.6.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Trying to get parts made for Jeep 4.0

Post by Russ Pottenger »

I'm stocking warehouse dealer for both JP Perormance and Rollmaster and of course Comp cams.

Even though I've covered the same ground and asked the same questions, I have always had the opinion that it's a good idea to directly contact manufactures expressing your thoughts, ideas, with current or potentially new product.

And example to make my point Is if you had a social or political grievance and you would call or write your local congressman or senator they factor that for every correspondence they receive they're are at least another hundred that feel or have the same opinion, but wouldn't take the time or hassle to make their opinions known.

Bottom line, it never hurts to ask. You might be that person to initiate the demand of a new product.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Hey Russ, I'm trying too. I am probably going to build another stroker in the near future for my 2003 Wrangler. I would really like to have a double roller timing set to fit my thrust plate engine. Maybe a few more emails from jeepstroker members could persuade some of these companies to make us some parts.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

What emails or phone numbers did you use? I'd be happy to put a bug in their ear.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

SilverXJ wrote:What emails or phone numbers did you use? I'd be happy to put a bug in their ear.

The email for JP Performance is [email protected] I got the email off their web site. I can't remember who I contacted at Cloyes. I used an email link off their web page. The same with comp cams. I never got a response from Cloyes or Comp. I tried to make a case using Keith black and scat crankshafts making parts for the "popular 4.6 Jeep stroker", and also several companies selling assembled strokers. I guess they didn't bite. I would think with enough interest, someone would look at making parts, especially comp. I'm sure most of the 258/4.0 cams they sell are for the Jeep 4.0L. You would think they would develop a valve spring specifically made for the the 4.0.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

dwg86 wrote:
SilverXJ wrote:I would think with enough interest, someone would look at making parts
There's the problem. The market's too small for an engine that was designed 52 years ago and went out of production 10 years ago. The economy of scale for low volume production makes the parts cost too high for companies to take the risk.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: