Voltage gauge reading 9v

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
rammit11
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Voltage gauge reading 9v

Post by rammit11 »

Hi, have a question regarding an issue where my voltage gauge will drop to 9v and set off the check gauges light. I have confirmed that the gauge is reading fairly close to what the incoming charge to the battery is. I have been able to correct the issue by shutting off the engine and restarting . I have also while checking things with a meter and seeing only 10 volts incoming to the battery crawled underneath and lightly tapped the field connector block on the alternator and you could hear the alternator load up and start charging to 13.5v . The alternator was tested by the local Autozone and shows it is charging at 14.6 volts. I have gone over most of the wiring and it seems fine , not sure as where to look next for an answer.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Voltage gauge reading 9v

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Sounds like a flakey voltage regulator. Replace alternator.
rammit11
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: Voltage gauge reading 9v

Post by rammit11 »

Hi , here is an update on the issue. After pulling the loomed harness apart to find all the wires in good condition and everything seemed to check fine I cleaned all connections and reassembled everything . I did a full run of tests this evening and system is now charging at 13.7-14.0 depending on load no issues showing up . I guess it is possible that somewhere there must of been a poor ground that was causing the problem. I am going to tidy up the wiring harnesses, run it and see if the issue reappears.