Decreasing Timing?

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
Neuner
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Decreasing Timing?

Post by Neuner »

I have a Hesco CPS on my '98 4.0. There is pinging when the engine is even under medium load and is worse under heavy load.

I was wondering if I could put spacers between the Hesco CPS bracket and the oil pan to move it down and retard the timing or are there other issues going on? My CPS is slightly higher than the horizontal line of the Harmonic Dampener bolt. I compared it to other photos online and although they aren't a great pic, others appear to be lower and more in line with the bolt. I thought I had taken a pic of my setup while the engine was out but guess I didn't. I'm still working on trying to get the fuel pressure down from 56 to 49. I'm hoping to find a variable one soon to replace the WJ one I'm using.

SilverXJ - I saw your post about advancing the timing 6* and that is what gave me the idea to possibly move mine in the opposite direction.
Things you own, begin owning you.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: Decreasing Timing?

Post by jsawduste »

Yes you can add spacers and move the CPS to take some timing out.

Be more curious as to what is causing the ping to begin with though.
Neuner

Post by Neuner »

Yes, I agree.

I have other issues like flooding just after starting and traveling about a block and then having it run fine after that regardless if it is warmed up or not. I'm thinking most of my problems are due to the pressure / running rich but others have told me theirs is the same without my symptons. In my searches, the location of the CPS came up as the issue more times than not when dealing with pinging. Since it's easy to do with the bracket, I guess I'll give it a try. I now have all new sensors. Only did the replacement of the IAC and MAP slightly change things for the better.

Concerning the pressure, what pump & regulator is everyone running? I have the Airtex e2000 and WJ fuel filter/regulator combo.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

A wideband gauge might help you, especially since you have a fuel system that isn't exactly stock, combined with pinging and a relocated/adjustable cps.

I thought you had the fuel pressure at like 53 psi since you put in the WJ regulator?
Neuner

Post by Neuner »

No, it's at 56psi. The first loaner had a leak and I guess wasn't providing an accurate reading. I swapped it for a new one and got the 55-56psi.

I ordered a variable regulator and gauge which is hopefully here by the weekend. Anxious to have it installed. Hoping it will solve the ailments.
Neuner

Post by Neuner »

New Summit Variable Pressure Regulator didn't work at all so they've taken it back and waiting on a new one.

Thinking of a different route and changing the pump to an Airtex E8445. Pressure is 55psi and may allow the WJ regulator to work properly.
Neuner

Post by Neuner »

Running great. Finally got a chance to work on it after a busy schedule.

Most of my issues were with the Bosch O2 Sensor. I replaced it with an OEM NGK model and it took care of the majority of issues.

Only a slight pinging under load remained and there were a couple of other small nuances that made it seem like it was running on the edge of advancement. I put some washers between the Hesco bracket and oil pan. Pinging is gone and it is much smoother overall.