ECM confirmation

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
1974javelin
Vehicle Year: 1974
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Javelin

ECM confirmation

Post by 1974javelin »

Hello everyone, I am building a 1974 javelin from the ground up and doing a custom build with the factory 258 inline 6. I'm doing the 4.0 efi swap and I am having trouble figuring out what year/model jeep my ecm came out of. It has been a long time since I pulled all the 4.0 efi items and can't remember the exact year or model of the jeep, although I want to say it was a 1999 cherokee sport. Hopefully you guys can help me out. I googled the ecm's part number: P56041 492AE and found an ebay ecm with the same part number that is listed for a 1999 cherokee, AT.

Can anyone confirm the year/model and if it is for an auto or manual transmission? Thanks!
1974javelin

Re: ECM confirmation

Post by 1974javelin »

Seems ECU is used more around here, that's what I'm talking about if there is any confusion.
jeepman
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: MJ

Post by jeepman »

Yes the Factory Parts PDF I have shows it for a 99 although ending in a AC so AE is just a later release
1974javelin

Post by 1974javelin »

Thanks! I can narrow down what year wiring diagrams to look at now 8-) Does anyone know if an automatic transmission ecu will work with a manual transmission? Or does this throw things off?
jeepman
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: MJ

Post by jeepman »

Yes you can run the auto computer with a Manual trans you just wont see the shift light and it might l throw a code or 2 but otherwise it will run and drive...

I ran a Manual Computer for my Auto for almost a year till I swapped out to a Auto Computer...