dist position at TDC Renix

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
jbxx
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: $.6 mistake?
Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

dist position at TDC Renix

Post by jbxx »

OK , looking down on the distributor, rotor moves clockwise, # 1 is at 5 o'clock.
Set the engine at #1 TDC.
I cut a window out of the distributor to see the rotor. It is either just before #1, move one tooth and it's just past #1. Which is the correct position?
The Angelfire distributor indexing instructions are for a later model than the Renix I think, so may not apply, or do they?
:deadhorse: .
Tnx.
J.B.
cruiser54
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: dist position at TDC Renix

Post by cruiser54 »

Remove the distributor cap and cut a "window" into the side of the distributor cap at the #1 spark plug wire post . The "window" should be large enough to allow easy visual inspection of the position of the distributor rotor at the #1 spark plug wire post. Reinstall the distributor cap.

Install a ¾” wrench or socket onto the vibration damper retaining bolt. Rotate the engine in a clockwise direction until the #1 cylinder is at top dead center. Align the timing mark on the vibration damper with the "0" degree mark on the front cover timing scale. The tip of the distributor rotor should be near the #1 spark plug wire post.

Disconnect the distributor electrical connection. Remove the distributor holddown clamp, holddown bolt and distributor. Remove the distributor cap and rotor.

Place the distributor housing upside down in a soft jaw vise. Scribe a line 1/2 inch from the end of the distributor locating tab. Cut the distributor locating tab at the scribed line with a saw.

Remove any burrs and metal filings from the distributor. Reinstall rotor.

If necessary, using a flat blade screwdriver, turn the oil pump gear drive shaft until the slot is slightly past the 11 o'clock position. The oil pump gear drive shaft is accessible through the distributor mounting bore in the engine block.

Visually align the modified locating tab area of the distributor housing with the holddown clamp bolt hole.

Turn the rotor to the 4 o'clock position.
Lower the distributor into the engine block until it seats. The rotor should now be very close to the 5 o'clock position.

Reinstall the distributor cap with the cutout "window". Rotate the distributor housing until the trailing edge of the distributor rotor tip is just departing from the #1 spark plug wire post terminal .

Reinstall the distributor holddown clamp and bolt.. Reinspect the position of the rotor to the #1 spark plug wire post to insure that it has not moved.

Install the new distributor cap, reconnect the distributor electrical connections.

Revised 07/03/2012
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found here :
www.cruiser54.com
Wanna view my technical photos? WARNING: Renix heavy!!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

yup they apply. i followed those instructions when i did mine and it runs like a champ
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

jbxx wrote:OK , looking down on the distributor, rotor moves clockwise, # 1 is at 5 o'clock.
I cut a window out of the distributor to see the rotor. It is either just before #1, move one tooth and it's just past #1. Which is the correct position?
The Angelfire distributor indexing instructions are for a later model than the Renix I think, so may not apply, or do they?
Tnx.
J.B.
On my renix I set the rotor past #1.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
cruiser54
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by cruiser54 »

Muad'Dib wrote:
jbxx wrote:OK , looking down on the distributor, rotor moves clockwise, # 1 is at 5 o'clock.
Tnx.
J.B.
On my renix I set the rotor past #1.
Correct.
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found here :
www.cruiser54.com
Wanna view my technical photos? WARNING: Renix heavy!!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
jbxx
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: $.6 mistake?
Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Post by jbxx »

Thanks guys!
J.B.
heavy equipment
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by heavy equipment »

Couple of tricks to add to cruiser54's instructions:
1. Once I had to pull a distributor that was stuck, and the hold-down tangs broke off. I got a hold-down clamp and used it to hold the distributor down, but since the flange that holds the gasket was partially broken off, oil leaked out at that point. I clamped the distributor shaft flats in a vise and used a double thickness of hacksaw blades to cut a groove around just below the gasket flange. I installed an o-ring in the groove, and never had a problem after that.

2. Because of the trouble I had with the stuck distributor, now I coat the housing that goes in the engine with anti-seize lubricant.

Shaking down my stroker since I installed it a couple weeks ago, yesterday the shaft seized in the old distributor. It ran rough till I stopped in a parking lot and opened the hood. I could see that the distributor had spun and pulled the plug. I got a rebuilt distributor from AutoZone (the nearest parts place that had one on hand) and installed it. Since I was 40 miles from home and couldn't access my shop or computer, I couldn't get the timing set right. I had it hauled home and logged on to Jeep Strokers and found this post. Soon as I got it together it started easily and ran well. Thanks, cruiser54!!