2 x cps = +6* timing

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
scalper
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7l
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: 2 x cps = +6* timing

Post by scalper »

i am wanting to do this mod but curious if you guys that have done this are running automatics and will this mod work with automatic.reason i ask is rock city use to sell a similar cps and there add say will not work with automatic trannys.seems like it would still work to me.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Mine is an auto, works fine.
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

I will hazard a guess on this.

Anecdotal evidence, discovered by more motivated people than I, says that the AT and manual ECUs have different timing maps.
Something about the AT having more factory timing to give the AT similar driving characteristics to the MT.

I know my bone stock 94 XJ w/AT pings like crazy under light load immediately before downshifting.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
scalper
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7l
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by scalper »

thanks
Desertjr
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Desertjr »

gradon wrote:Since closed loop is based on the 14.7:1 provided by the o2 sensor feedback, having the capability to bias the voltage(with the AEM) at any rpm and load less than the OL threshhold means that you have the ability to tune the CL map as well, instead of just zeroing the fuel trims(Split Sec, Apexi, etc). It's not a bandaid, but an awesome feature, and just a step below a full standalone unit. If you have an obd1(or 2 if you don't care about CELs), disco the temp sensor in the t-stat or use a certain value resistor inline that tricks the pcm to think that the coolant temp is lower than what it is and then you can be in OL 100% of the time and tune whatever map you want(with the SS and Apexi).

Now this I'm curious about, tricking the ecu into thinking your in OL(open loop) all the time. I'm using a apexi safc II to tune with so tricking it would be beneficial how? By being able to tune to what I wanted correct? Would this not have adversed effects like decrease in drive ability?
Wile cruising your in closed loop which should be 14.7:1 stoich? Running in OL all the time would give you 1 set or whatever AFR you tuned for correct? So you would have worse cold starts and cold running issues(rich)? And get worse mileage while cruising because your air fuel ratio would need to be acceptable for wot stuff..probably high 12s - low 13s AFR? Or could you still tune cruise for 14s and wot for whatever AFR was needed ect?

Again apexi safc II. 88 renix. Aem wideband, oem knock sensor.