Good bye coil rail.

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
woodjeep
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Good bye coil rail.

Post by woodjeep »

<r>Well I was running out of time...stroker almost ready for an install next week and I had to have a running coil pack so I lopped off the alignment rail that did not fit my connector..slides on and locks no problems. No where on my coil pack are the numbers 5c 1432 but I went to several auto parts on line and every picture for 5c1432 had a unit with the same plug numbers on the terminals... Problem was I could not conclusively tell what terminal went to what plug without trial and error. I could not cross reference the terminals with the firing order of what cars this unit goes on to. Luckily darkcorp posted a drawing of how he did it on page 3 of this thread...it worked but I could not confirm scientifically....Terminals 3 and 6 went to plugs 1 and 6.....term 1 and 4 went to plugs 2 and 5...and terminals 5 and 2 went to plugs 3 and 4. I don't have a mounting bracket made yet just bungeed really secure to my ac hoses ..but it works
IMG_1663[14].jpg
IMG_1695[13].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darkcorp
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: GCh 4.0

Post by darkcorp »

woodjeep wrote: October 8th, 2019, 7:03 am Terminals 3 and 6 went to plugs 1 and 6.....term 1 and 4 went to plugs 2 and 5...and terminals 5 and 2 went to plugs 3 and 4.
Yeah, as you see Viper coil includes 3 separate coils in one. That is mechanically the same scheme as Jeep coil pack. So each separate coil works for 2 cylinder in pair: 1 and 6, 2 and 5, 3 and 4 as they move in pair but spark hits in rotation.
Remember this and you will never forget how to connect plug wires :)
jwilkinson01
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by jwilkinson01 »

Dredging up this old thread. I was planning on doing this as part of my stroker build a few years back, my wife had some medical issues so the project was put on hold. I am pretty sure I will have recovered financially so that I can start building this spring so trying to get all my duck back in rows. I see that RIPP now has a kit for both TJs and XJs. It isn't cheap by any means. I was planning on using the Screamin' Demon coil but wondering if the RIPP is worth it for their coil and wires (and bracket even though I don't know if it will work with my desired setup) vs putting it together with the SD coil and making my own wires. Does anyone have any info that would shed some light on any differences?

https://www.rippmods.com/products/jeep- ... 8911&_ss=r

Thanks!