Replacing the 00+ coil rail

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Replacing the 00+ coil rail

Post by SilverXJ »

I've been thinking about replacing the coil rail for a while. I just hate it. Pain in the ass to get in and out and hard to diagnose a misfire with it. I'd probably go with something like this, 2 of them: http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Coi ... _Pack.aspx or one of those coil packs off a 6 cylinder like this: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/img-home ... l-pack.jpg

The only think I am concerned about is what the PCM is looking for and what would specs would be needed to keep the PCM safe. I asked MSD about retrofitting on and they said that if the wrong coil is used PCM damage could result. However, I don't know if that is just their blanket response for something they don't offer a bolt in option for.

Any ideas?
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Re: Replacing the 00+ coild rail

Post by gradon »

Measure your current rail primary resistance then measure those msds? I like the idea off doing away with the dizzy, but not having to take off and put on a whole rail to diagnose, and not throwing away and having to buy another whole rail when only 1 of the 3 packs are bad.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Re: Replacing the 00+ coil rail

Post by SilverXJ »

Having it buried under the heater lines, throttle body cables, ac compressor, upper rad hose, etc, makes it a real pain to remove. The only reason it is like that is because of Mercedes. they used a similar setup on their V12 engine, except that they have two rails and two plugs per cylinder.