'91 Computer Questions

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
ShelGame

'91 Computer Questions

Post by ShelGame »

Hi, I am new here. Will be buying a 1st Gen ZJ in the next week or so. I've been racing FWD Dodges for many years and will primarily be commuting/towing with the ZJ. I would eventually like to build a stroker for it. This seems like the best tech site that I have found for the Jeep engines.

I tune my own computer (stock Chrysler SMEC electronics); and I own a small business catering to the Turbo-Mopar crowd specializing in tuning and computer modifications (http://www.boostbutton.com, if you're interested). I know that the '93-95 ZJ used the Chrysler SBECII, which I'm very familiar with. But, I'm not sure about the '91/92 XJ. I found out that both the 2.5 and 4.0 use multiport injection. But, did it also use the SBECII? Or was it the SBECI? Something else? Were the injectors batch fired in those years? Or was it full sequential injection?

Eventually, I'd like to be able to offer OBDI Jeep calibrations as well as Turbo Mopar calibraions. But, that's a ways off. I need to get myself a Jeep first :) I already have the binary file for the '93+ 4.0 and have been working on reverse engineering it. Not surprisingly, much of the software is carried over from the cars.

Thanks,
Rob
ShelGame

Re: '91 Computer Questions

Post by ShelGame »

Well, I'm now a ZJ owner. On my way to pick it up in the next hour or so...
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

Congrats, and welcome aboard :mrgreen:
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
ShelGame

Post by ShelGame »

Got it home. '95 GC Laredo, base model, command-trac (part-time 4wd - yeah!), 4.0, 192K on it, but it doesn't look it. Needs very little, actually. Water pump will need to be replaced, it's weeping. Intermittent wipers don't work, but they work on hi/lo. Rear hatch is very rusty, so I'll be looking for a new one. Some rust on the rockers, but the plastic covers it up so you can't really tell. Pics later...
ShelGame

Post by ShelGame »

Well, still no pics. But, I did get the water pump changed; along with the exhaust manifold (VERY badly cracked), thermostat, and crank position sensor. The engine was stalling randomly, sometimes with a code 11, often with no code at all. Replaced the CPS and all is good.

Also got a slightly better rear hatch - at least this one stays closed without the need of a bungee cord. It also has the flip-up glass :)

Starting to collect parts for a stroker build. Found a set of 258 rods locally, still looking for a core 4.0 bottom end to start with; and a 258 crank...