computers!!

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

computers!!

Post by amcinstaller »

hey all, great site!! im building a stroker right now, 92 4.0 block, 258 12cw crank and rods, .040 dished pistons. thats all i have for now, but im lookin into cams, head stuff, so on. my biggest question right now is, what computer should i use?! ive been looking at megasquirt alot lately, and ive been told alot about it, even my machinist referred it to me. we also looked at a couple other ideas, but i dont really know. what computers or computer modification combos have been tried, what works, what doesnt?
John
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: computers!!

Post by John »

I like the OBDI Jeep factory computers, but I am also considering a custom Unichip from Hesco to improve a couple of areas.
John
JoeNathan

Post by JoeNathan »

the problem with the ODBI computers is that they are not re-programmable and thus will always be off the trim for perfect AFR calculations. Also replacing the injectors with something else will confuse it as it's hard programmed for the stock injectors. Upon start up when the O2 sensor hasn't warmed, you can run into really lean conditions. If you're looking for a good solution look for OBDII at least or something you can set different CAL values for.
John

Post by John »

Do tell how you are so effectively reprogramming Jeep OBDII computers.
John
JoeNathan

Post by JoeNathan »

by definition ODBII controllers are reflashable, I don't have one so I haven't investigated the matter any but I have heard of them being reflashed and recalibrated
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

i heard once that a US company called jet (i think??) would reflash your computer for you. well, maybe it wasnt in the states. i forget where, but thats the company that could do it, if you sent them yours with their fee.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

Here ya go:
Hello,

The OBDII ECUs for the 4.0 can be reprogrammed, but the OBDI units are not flashable unfortunately.

If you need any programming work done to your OBDII ECUs, please let me know.

Thanks,

Nick Ianuzzi <-Kolak
Kolak Performance and Offroad
A Division of: Multitronics, LLC
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

how much? how accurate? what kind of turnaround time? i guess id just like a little more information. this is maybe alot cheaper than the 2500 engine management system ive been looking at.
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

I didn't know that you can reprogram the OBD II computers. However, I have done business with Nick in the past and he hasn't let me down.
Mike Axle

Post by Mike Axle »

I have been running the Unichip piggy back computer from Hesco for two years now. No performance gains that I could feel by the seat of my pants. Gas milage improved alot. No problems to speak of. I called the guy's at Unichip and asked if I should have it programmed on a dyno. They said it wouldn't be worth the money, not much if anything could be gained. I am running the Ford 24 Lb/hr fuel injectors.

Mike
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

does anyone know which megasquirt version we would need to megasquirt a stroker?? which sensors would be needed to make it work right? ie. factory flywheel from Renix, OBDI or OBDII?
highstumpr
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: mj

Post by highstumpr »

I would like to see more on the different options here. My 92 4.6 is looking for something between 2900 -3100, feels rich to me, but after a second it really takes off. Any one want to help an old fart figure out which type upgrade to use. I'd like to be able to see what's happening in there.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

I sent my PCM off to Nick Ianuzzi (Kolak) will let you know the results when I get it back. It is a custom tune and I sent him all my engine's details.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

SilverXJ wrote:I sent my PCM off to Nick Ianuzzi (Kolak) will let you know the results when I get it back. It is a custom tune and I sent him all my engine's details.
What year vehical?...OBDI or OBDII
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

yes, id like to know all that too. year, engine system, which year of sensors, turnaround time, price, how far away (shipping time would be different for different locations). sorry to ask so much, but i really want to figure out which would work the best for me. :huh: