Upgraded 2000 Xj alternator?

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Upgraded 2000 Xj alternator?

Post by SilverXJ »

I'm trying to find a stock swap in higher output alternator for my 2000 XJ. Now it had the plug on the back, which I don't want to cut up. I purchased a 136 Amp from a late model liberty and it didn't fit due to the mount ears. I don't want to go with the 98 ZJ one for two rasons.. 1) too old for a JY find and 2) I would have to cut my wiring harness off. Has anyone found a late model alt that would fit (with some grinding if necessary)??

-Chris
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Re: Upgraded 2000 Xj alternator?

Post by seanyb505 »

I think Durangos used a similarly fitting model. Might be too old though, unless you find one that just got to the junkyard.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Jeep4xb4u
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: XJ 2dr
Vehicle Model: Sport

Post by Jeep4xb4u »

I know this is no "OEM Swap" but I believe Power Master makes a direct swap 170amp alternator for your year. Although they tend to be pricey, i for one think they are well worth it. I have one my self that is sitting on my stroker waiting to run. I believe mine is rated a 170 at well at above idle. And puts out just below 90 amps @ idol. My figures are rough but you get the point. It was the idol amps that i was mainly concerned about do to my dual electric fans and a stupid stereo. At the time i was having a very difficult time finding anybody who would give me those types of specs except Power Master, that for me made the sale.

My uncle has had great success with there equipment as well in his big block ramcharger. They also make a starter i wish i can afford. :D
88' XJ 2dr
4.0l / AW4 / NP231 / D35c
6.5" Long Arm Lift - 33x12.5's - 15x8 Mickey's

Currently working on 4.6l / D44 Swap
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Got one. Its from a 99-2000 Dodge Dakota I believe. 136 Amp, some grinding of the block and mount required.
Gearhead88
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Gearhead88 »

You may be able to upgrade the one you have.

I had one done a couple of years ago for $75 . If I remember correctly , a larger stator , some brushes and bearings was all that was used to get it up to 160 amps . A friend did it for me , he worked for a company that overhauled starters and alternators at the time. I believe he cleaned up and used the same chassis / housing and hotrodded the internals. Later on I added a smaller pulley to increase the low speed output. It was well worth the $75 to have a badass alternator built out of an existing unit.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

He said he could do a custom alt for $160 with 160 amps. I don't need 160 amps, plus i like the idea of replacing it with an easy to find unit if it does fail.
Heck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by Heck »

You don't think you need 160 amps now, but it's a jeep, and we all know how that goes. One mod later and you'll wish you had 300 amps.
I NEED MORE TORQUE!

'03 Rubicon w/4.6: kb944 pistons, late 70's 4 weight crank, Mopar P4529228ab cam, 240 dur./.430 lift, barely polished head. First fire 11/14/08, no mechanical issues so far.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Dont forget, when you go above 140 amps, the amount of actual amp output at idle is nowhere near the rated output. The output at idle will drop as the rated output goes up.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I don't think I will need more that 136 amps. I don't have that much drawing. I have 90/100 watt headlamps, 100 watt aux lights, 50 watt rear lights, a small sub in the trunk (Inifnity basslink), a CB, Pioneer head unit, Apexi SAFC II, wideband, GPS, radar detector, and air pumps that are occasionally used. I intend to eventually install a carputer and a small 4 way amp, but nothing much more than that. I won't be running a winch and I won't have a huge stereo. I just wanted a bump above stock as I have noticed at idle that my lights do dim. I also upgraded the wiring to 2 gauge marine cable.

-Chris