Looking for help puting a XJ 4.0 back together

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Topher
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Looking for help puting a XJ 4.0 back together

Post by Topher »

I'm working on a 1999 Jeep Cheeroke 4.0 my 16 yr old daughter purchased, with a little help from my wife and I. Prior owner supplied a decent list of known issues, one of which was a coolant leak. No signs of coolant on the ground or inside the vehicle. The heater worked, so I was hopeful it was a blown head gasket. I removed the 0630 head to discover it cracked. My local Engine Builders had a rebuilt 7120 head which I purchased for $500.

I read that I can use the 7120 head, but first have to remove the guide dowels from the block. I think...err I hope the intake & exhaust will line up. The piston heads were cleaning up with a light pressure from my finger nail. I posted the following link to the lifters on a Cheeroke forum and they said there were done for. I had read if the lifters are worn the camshaft is likely warn too.

http://scratchytj.com/rosaline/lifters/

I picked up a replacement valve cover and fuel rail from a junk yard. Original valve cover was bent near the rear mounting surface and the original fuel rail was rusty.

I've already purchased the following...
Dorman 47057 PCV Elbox (I broke the original and the one from the junk yard)
2x Dorman 42344 PCV Valve Grommet
IGN Spark Plug Wire Set
6x Champion RC12ECC Copper Plus Spark Plugs
Fel-Pro HS9076PT4 Head Gasket Set
7120 head with valvetrain

1. Is there anything I should be aware of with that 7120 head?

2. Can anyone confirm that the camshaft and timing set can be replaced without fully pulling the engine? I read you remove the oil pan, oil pump and the harmonic balancer then disconnect the engine mounts and hoist the engine up till the timing case clears.

3. I'm looking for recommendations on what to get for...
Camshaft
Lifters
Timing set
Anything else people feel important to know.

4. Lastly, I heard a statement made on a YT video that if you have a 1999 Cherokee 4.0 with a distributor, it is not the original engine to that 1999 Cherokee. Does anyone know? This 4.0 looks just like my 2000 TJ, with the exception of the distributor. It doesn't make a difference to me, just one of those things I'd like to know.

Any assistance is appreciated.
Bertismyname
I think I'll order a "tab"
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Looking for help puting a XJ 4.0 back together

Post by Bertismyname »

The lifters are shot. They definitely need replacement.
Yes you can pull the cam without pulling the engine. It will require pulling the radiator, a.c. condenser. Grill, and probably the engine mounts so you can jack the engine up. The balancer will also have to come off.

But, once you have done all that you are only down to bell housing and torque converter bolts and the engine is out.
If you have the equipment to pull the engine, i would strongly consider just pulling the engine so that you can reseal the oil pan and rear main seal.
Bertismyname

Post by Bertismyname »

Cloyes or stock for timing chain. As far as cams go keep it mild. Or stock. If you have a cam grinder near by i would consider having your cam reground.
Bertismyname

Post by Bertismyname »

99 was a weird year. Early 99 had a distributor. Late 99 had coil pack. The p.c.m. was changed with the update. That idiot on YT doesn't know what he is talking about. If you look at the production date of your jeep you will probably see that it was built in 98.
Topher
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Topher »

Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate it.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to only replace the lifters. Like you said if I'm going to the point of replacing the camshaft I might as well pull the motor. If I pull this motor I'm going to want to stroke it and upgrade all sorts of stuff along the way.

I decided to do the minimum for now and in 2 to 3 years I'll pull it. In the mean time I'm going to acquire parts every few months to be ready.