New radiator

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
RustyTruck
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

New radiator

Post by RustyTruck »

The original radiator in my 90 YJ has crude in it. Since I will have a new 4.7 stroker in the jeep here soon, I need to clean up the radiator. I took the radiator out of the jeep today. The tanks are plastic, which I understand to be not desirable. I am thinking about just buying a new radiator that is all metal. What brands are worth buying? I see a huge range in price. Some friendly advice would be greatly appreciated.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: New radiator

Post by jsawduste »

RustyTruck wrote: August 4th, 2018, 5:17 pm The original radiator in my 90 YJ has crude in it. Since I will have a new 4.7 stroker in the jeep here soon, I need to clean up the radiator. I took the radiator out of the jeep today. The tanks are plastic, which I understand to be not desirable. I am thinking about just buying a new radiator that is all metal. What brands are worth buying? I see a huge range in price. Some friendly advice would be greatly appreciated.
Why would you say the plastic tank radiator is not desirable ? The OEM one by your own admission lasted 28 years.

Id have it cleaned out and refurbished.

Failing that the CSF OEM replacements have always served well. You get what you pay for in replacements.
RustyTruck
Noob
Noob

Post by RustyTruck »

The negativity against the plastic tank comes from
- the mounting bolts/nuts are rusted out and spinning in the plastic housing
- my brother-in-law is the most knowledgeable person I know in this arena (every vehicle he has had is heavily modified under the hood) and he will not use a plastic tanked radiator. I hoping folks here can be the voice of balance.
- the shop I was going to tank the radiator to have it cleaned does not reburish plastic tank versions. I need to call around on Monday to see what other places say.
jsawduste
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

The mounting hardware rusting is not the fault of the radiator.

I stand by my words. The original lasted 28 years. What's to blame ?

You can still buy OEM radiators from the dealer or even outlets like eBay. Just make sure its an OEM original not a copy. Stainless Steel hardware and anti seize will keep the rust away.
RustyTruck
Noob
Noob

Post by RustyTruck »

If the local shops cannot clean my radiator, I plan to order a CSF. I have heard good things about them from multiple source now.

Is there any need to upgrade to a fancy 3 row aluminum model due to the 4.7 stroker compared to the factory 4.2?