Kendall GT-1 back?

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Kendall GT-1 back?

Post by seanyb505 »

I saw it on the shelves at advance auto today, is it back? Does anyone know if its the same formula? I looked on the back and it said it was based in Houston, Texas. I thought the original gt1 came from Pennsylvania? Thoughts?

It was 20w50 btw
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: Kendall GT-1 back?

Post by Plechtan »

This is important why?
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

http://tds.econocophillips.com/catalogs ... %20Web.pdf

They never left
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

If you are looking for the origional kendal oil then buy the Brad Penn oil.
From what I heard, Kendal started using cheaper oil in their product so the residents of Bradley Pennsylvenia started selling their oil themselves.
Not sure whats in the "new" kendal oil.
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

I just hadnt ever noticed it, didnt know if there was an actual chemical relationship to what the brad penn stuff is.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
jsawduste
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

[quote="Alex22"]If you are looking for the origional kendal oil then buy the Brad Penn oil.
From what I heard, Kendal started using cheaper oil in their product so the residents of Bradley Pennsylvenia started selling their oil themselves.
Not sure whats in the "new" kendal oil.[/quote]

Not a true statement.
If you follow the link you will find that the 20w-50 is the only GT-1 product that has ZDDP levels of the past. The other "flavors" of GT-1 do not have the same chemical make up.

20w-50 is the same as Brad Penn.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

I don't know why anyone would put 20w50 into an engine that isn't suffering from either shot bearings or worn out rings.

What kind of Oil pressure are you guys seeing running that stuff?

I had a friend once who used 20w50 castrol in his leaky power steering pump res, anything else leaked out in an hour, but 20w50 would get us around town for a whole day :mrgreen:

Irrational or not, I have visions of oil that heavy coming out of the cam squirter on the rod end like pancake syrup from a bottle of log cabin :slobber:
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

Here is the story on Brad Penn oil.
http://www.bradpennracing.com/history.html

My brother ran 20w50 in his truck until he finished the new engine, it was a 76 dodge 318 with unknown mileage, the needle would barley move at an idle with 10w30. He had almost 30psi at idle with the thick stuff.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

Mine runs 70psi cold, 30-40psi warm idle, and 60-75psi throughout the revs with the hv melling and brad penn 10w30 racing on a 7.6K rebuild. I have been tempted to run a lighter-weight synthetic oil, such as a 5w20, and see how it runs and monitor the oil pressure. So far the Brad Penn has been good.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Ive had almost exact opposite results with the bp 10w30. Idles around 50 cold, 10 warmed, and 25ish at cruise. If the engine gets worked or gets hot the oil pressure completely drops. Im debating running the bp 20w50 and rotella 15w40 with the zddp additive, which is why the kendall on the shelf caught my attention.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

seanyb505 wrote:Ive had almost exact opposite results with the bp 10w30. Idles around 50 cold, 10 warmed, and 25ish at cruise. If the engine gets worked or gets hot the oil pressure completely drops. Im debating running the bp 20w50 and rotella 15w40 with the zddp additive, which is why the kendall on the shelf caught my attention.
What are your oil clearances on the rods and mains? and did you use the camsavers by any chance, they lower it a few psi. I'm running brad penn 10w30 in my stock 4.0 with 168k and have 30-40 at an idle and 60 above 1200rpm.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Im not sure about my oil clearances, the machine shop checked them so they should be within tolerance(For a normal engine, not nessecarily an AMC I6). Cam saver lifters, yes. Going with Rotella 15w40 tomorrow.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

You were most likely at the high end of spec for clearances, which is good for a street engine, go for the thick stuff.

~Alex
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

I put the Rotella 15w40 in along with a bottle of zddplus. Dont know if thats worth it, but i figured i would try. Oil pressure problem solved, but now Im hearing noise at idle, which may alos be present at cruise only other noises are too loud to hear it. Its a slight knocking sound, I havnet been able to inspect anything yet. Engine only has 4000 miles on it, so Im worried.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold