Fender Compadibility

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Fender Compadibility

Post by Flash »

Muad'Dib wrote:
tigerShark wrote:its a shame most of the fenders out there in your part of oregon are dented. there must be 15 XJs and a few MJs at my local yard. fenders are $29.99. all of them seem to be in good shape. no wrecks. i wonder what shipping from florida to oregon on a fender goes for...
Im gonna say 30-40 bucks.. Do you have some blue ones?

I was able to measure a fender off of a 86/4 syl.......it was identical to my 89/4.0..........I measured from the door edge along the fencer seam all the way to the side marker cover........

Externally i couldn't see a thing different.....

The radiator support, and ac were way different!!!

there is tons of space, between, the grill and the condenser, on the 86 and non left on the 89

I guess we will never know for sure until some one bolts a fender up..........But they sure look identical to me.

and so dose the part between the hood and grill............The hood was the same length also.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

tigerShark wrote:ill check it out next time i go and take a pic with my phone. it looks like a light blue form the pics.
sorry chris, no light blue XJs at the yard i went to today. theres another JY im gonna go to next time. its owned by the same people and if its anything like this yard, it has a lot of cherokees too. ill keep an eye out for you.

rare color. thing is, even if you can match the color it will have a different degree of sun fade to it. especially if its a FL jeep parked outside a lot. you guys have the same problem in oregon?
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

tigerShark wrote:
tigerShark wrote:ill check it out next time i go and take a pic with my phone. it looks like a light blue form the pics.
sorry chris, no light blue XJs at the yard i went to today. theres another JY im gonna go to next time. its owned by the same people and if its anything like this yard, it has a lot of cherokees too. ill keep an eye out for you.

rare color. thing is, even if you can match the color it will have a different degree of sun fade to it. especially if its a FL jeep parked outside a lot. you guys have the same problem in oregon?
As far as being a "rare" color .. yes i haven't found one that was light blue. Sun fade ... aah i don't care about that too much as it will all get painted in the future. I just want it too look "awefully" close. There is a big difference to me in a color that comes close to matching compared to one that doesn't match at all..

Thanks for looking though, i really appreciate it.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

this stuff was posted on the "jeep cherokee XJ" yahoo group yesterday regarding fender compatibility.
1d.
Re: question about fenders
Posted by: "screamingchicken83" [email protected] screamingchicken83
Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:31 pm (PST)
We know that 84-96 is basically the same body, the fenders from 84-86
are slightly different than 87 and newer. The only real problem is
trying to get newer than 86 fenders on an 84-86. There are two
alignment studs that stick out of the front of the fender on newer
models which need to be taken off in order for them to sit in place.
In reverse there are no problems...this is in response to a post that
claims all Cherokees and Comanches are the same. They are in fact
similar enough, but not the same. If you don't believe my...use a
Hollander interchange resource, i.e. salvage yard or aftermarket
supplier, to verify this.

Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post
Messages in this topic (8)
1e.
Re: question about fenders
Posted by: "c s" [email protected] ultraflexxj
Wed Mar 5, 2008 5:11 pm (PST)
ok in response to what you are saying that is right the 84-86 are slightly different but will still work with the later model vehicles i actually ran the fenders off an 84 xj on my 89 mj the easiest way for them to interchange without problems is just to take the front fiberglass piece that holds the grill and headlamps too

screamingchicken83 <screamingchicken83@ yahoo.com> wrote: We know that 84-96 is basically the same body, the fenders from 84-86
are slightly different than 87 and newer. The only real problem is
trying to get newer than 86 fenders on an 84-86. There are two
alignment studs that stick out of the front of the fender on newer
models which need to be taken off in order for them to sit in place.
In reverse there are no problems...this is in response to a post that
claims all Cherokees and Comanches are the same. They are in fact
similar enough, but not the same. If you don't believe my...use a
Hollander interchange resource, i.e. salvage yard or aftermarket
supplier, to verify this.
figured i would share this because it applies to the OPs original question.
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
fedrusion
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board

Post by fedrusion »

What year is the fender of off? From what I have seen on JF you should have no problem swaping fenders between MJ and XJ of the same vintage. I have not seen anything saying that swaping pre and post 86-87 models can or can not be done.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

fedrusion wrote:What year is the fender of off? From what I have seen on JF you should have no problem swaping fenders between MJ and XJ of the same vintage. I have not seen anything saying that swaping pre and post 86-87 models can or can not be done.
Supposedly, the XJ-MJ's from 84-86 were 3/4's of an inch shorter. Its "claimed" that it was lengthened to accommodate the I6.

The guy who was supposed to get me the fenders (when he went back to get them for me, some jerk smashed them to get to another vehicle) he got measurements...
I measured dimensions along the 2 factory "creases" that run from front to back on the fender. The upper measurement is exactly 45" from the front of the fender (where it meets the grill) to the back of the fender (at the door). The lower measurement is 7.5" from the back of the flare to where it meets the door. This measurement was taken at the lower part of the "crease".
I still have yet to compare the measurements to my 90.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
5-90
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by 5-90 »

tigerShark wrote:news to me. how much length we talking here?
I stand corrected. Per Mitchell and Hollander, front fenders for 1984-1996 XJ/MJ will swap directly. I had to check my notes.

I know the front clip was redesigned to accommodate the longer block of the six (vice the four and the V6,) but it seems that the mods were done more internally - the front crossmember was probably moved, and the firewall was /definitely/ massaged. I have not yet had both bodies side-by-side for a more detailed comparison...
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

At one time I had an 86 2.5, an 88 4.0, and a 94 4.0 XJ in my garage at the same time.

The obvious differences, IIRC, were that the radiator supports where moved far forward in the 4.0 models and the the firewall did in fact have a different "bump" to it.

I measured the frame rails but don't recall if there was anything different about them, if there was it must have been minor.

I'll have to compare some part numbers in the parts catalog to verify
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.