Analog Wideband AFR Meters

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Analog Wideband AFR Meters

Post by Comanche91 »

I'm finally going to replace my useless narrowband AFR meter with a wideband unit. I'm not fond of gaudy digital gauges and am looking at the analog wideband gauges, particularly the Autometer or AEM brands. Anyone have any experience with either of these? I'm concerned about about accuracy and excessive needle movement. Thanks!
91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE
jasonb
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Analog Wideband AFR Meters

Post by jasonb »

I just installed an autometer analog in preparation for my imminent stroker swap. I'm also not crazy about the digital units. While I can't compare it to a digital gauge, I can say I am pleased with it. The needle movement is very quick and it is easy to read. The only complaint I have is it is noisy, the stepper motor chattering around takes a little getting used to. I'm sure it's as accurate as the digital versions as the meter electronics are digital, driving an analog dial.
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Comanche91 »

Thanks for the reply Jason. I've heard about the stepper motor noise, but don't think that will be a problem with my exhaust system. :D I'm looking at the analog Model 5970 - ES mainly because it has a black face. Do you remember which model you have? It probably doesn't matter anyhow because I think the only differences between the analog Autometer wideband A/F meters are cosmetics.
91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE
jasonb
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by jasonb »

Sorry, I forgot to say that. I have the 4370. I think you are correct, looks like the same with a different color face.