Rear output shaft seal leak

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Rear output shaft seal leak

Post by optmaxx »

I took my jeep to get the T case fluid changed, and a few days later I started to get a big leak from the rear output shaft seal. I remember the mechanic saying that he used about 2 quarts, but after doing research I found that the T case for my 1990 YJ takes about 1.5 quarts? Could over filling the T case cause the rear output shaft seat to fail? I checked the fluid levels today by sticking my finger through the fill plug and it still had fluid, and it's leaking less, but still leaking too much. It leaks while in stop or in park, but it stops after a bit.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Rear output shaft seal leak

Post by SilverXJ »

It could as well as a clogged vent.

If you took the fill plug out and it didn't over flow it isn't over filled.
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent

Post by optmaxx »

Thanks, I'll take a look a at that vent once I find it. I ended up changing the rear output shaft seal myself, and refilling because it just kept leaking; I was pretty much almost out of fluid. The leak stopped at the output shaft seal, and I thought life was good again, but a few days later I noticed a small leak, and for now I can't tell where it is because the cross member is in the way. It's on the side of where the cone for the rear output shaft is, and blocked by the cross member.
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent

Post by optmaxx »

I found the hose that I'm sure is the vent that goes from the top of the Transfer case, and all the way to the firewall behind the engine. I found that the harness was sitting on top of the white plastic cap that at the end of the hose, and it had some weight on it. I pulled the tube out a bit to clear the harness, so hopefully that's all I need. My question is, if something is sitting on top of that white plastic cap at the end of the vent hose, will that be enough to plug it? It looks like the cap is suppose to have some play so that it can open up slightly?