Ring and pinion...

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Ring and pinion...

Post by DaemonForce »

The engine is finally back in the car and I'm going over a few outlines for cutting into my firewall for a new master cylinder(manual swap) and figure my gear ratios are the next step to address with all this power since 2.72 is great for a 3spd auto but probably not much else. I might be able to get away with it on the first few test runs but first need to change my front axle. I have a vacuum disconnect axle geared 2.72 and want to swap to a full time 4x4 system that can be engaged on the fly. Problem is my donor axle is immediately geared too high and is a carrier break, so I need to match. It may be possible to swap in the pinion and carrier from my other axle but I'm having issues removing the original pinion as it physically conflicts with the back end casting of a bearing journal. What is the secret to digging it out of the case without damaging either?
DSCF6134.JPG
Also, what is the message scrawled on the face of this thing? I opened the cover on my other axle the other day and noticed something similar going on. The only thing I can think of is the amount of preload but I have no idea how to make any sense of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))
DaemonForce
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L Super
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: American
Vehicle Model: Eagle

Re: Ring and pinion...

Post by DaemonForce »

Finally managed to get this beast out tonight. It was way simpler than I thought. I simply wasn't using enough force. The pinion DID come out at an angle though, seems unavoidable. Is it possible I may encounter the same thing with a 2.72/3.08/3.31 gear going back in? Looking through the inside there is some kind of cone with an inner seal(WARPED), a loose shim bouncing around and then there's the outer pinion seal. This should be a fun rebuild! :cheers:
DSCF6141.JPG
DSCF6143.JPG
I'm a little concerned about the construction model for the Dana 30 ring and pinion pairs. The ring gear is supposedly going to give trouble because it's a snug fit but I'm more interested in the amount of space I have to work with both the back end of the pinion gear for somewhat deeper pairs and the actual diameter of the ring gear itself. There doesn't appear to be a reasonable amount of space for me to work with here. What do you guys think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
   ,__,_____,__,       ~A-M-C YA!
//___}/,_ll,_\__\,_____
,l_/¯\_l__ll__l__/¯\(¤≡¤)
   (o))o))        (o))o))