Non Stroker Jeep Engine Questions

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
dagr8tim
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Non Stroker Jeep Engine Questions

Post by dagr8tim »

I know this really isn't a stroker specific question, but it does involve work on a Jeep engine and I figure this group probably has the most number of people familiar with Jeep engines of all of the forums I hang out on.

I'm getting ready to do a cylinder head on a 98 TJ with a 2.5. I'm planning to get a rebuilt or new cylinder head, new head bolts, new manifold bolts, gaskets, and new valve springs if I choose the head that doesn't come with them.

My goal is to yank the old head and throw the new one on in a day (or possibly a weekend's) time. That's why I'm going new manifold bolts, so I don't have to worry about breaking a stressed bolt during the removal process, or having to have a broken bolt extracted from the old head.

My question is, do I need to replace the valve springs, push rods, or rockers? If it is cheap insurance, that is fine. The one rebuilt head I'm looking at comes with springs, the new head I'm looking at does not. For the rockers and push rods, I know they tend to wear in, and that's why you cannot mix and match them. Will I have any issues with new push rods on old lifters? As long as I keep the pushrods and rockers straight, can I reuse them?

Should I just bite the bullet and consider a new cam and lifters at the same time to build some extra performance into the 4 angry squirrels?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Re: Non Stroker Jeep Engine Questions

Post by SilverXJ »

I would just inspect the old components for wear and replace as needed. Does the new head have valves at least?
dagr8tim
Noob
Noob

Post by dagr8tim »

SilverXJ wrote:I would just inspect the old components for wear and replace as needed. Does the new head have valves at least?
Both heads (new and remanfactured) have valves, and everything else. Manufactured needs rockers and pushrods. New needs springs (and probably retainers), rockers, and pushrods. The new is supposed to have hardened valve seats.

I have no problems going either way with reusing the old parts or replacing them for some cheap insurance. I'm just getting my shopping list together and if it was a good idea, I was just going to get the extra parts to save the hassle.
128racing
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Grand

Post by 128racing »

Would I get more horsepower out of a carb or fuel injected in my 98 grand Cherokee
dagr8tim
Noob
Noob

Post by dagr8tim »

128racing wrote:Would I get more horsepower out of a carb or fuel injected in my 98 grand Cherokee
Normally Carbs are easier to setup esp if you are doing something radical. Fuel injection is more reliable (IMHO). I think the power numbers would be similar. Fuel efficiency would probably be better with fuel injection. Tuning would be easier with a carb.
128racing
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Grand

Post by 128racing »

Ok thanks I was wondering if I could get more horse power by just throwing a carb on it